CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Games Move to Madison (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89358)

Alex Burden 11-21-2016 04:59 AM

Games Move to Madison

Is this a good thing or a bad thing.

Whats the weather like there compared to before???

Chris Lomen 11-21-2016 07:38 AM

Re: Games Move to Madison

My wife is from Madison so I have spent a lot of time there. I absolutely love it. I really think it will be a great place to have the Games. Plenty of great options for venues, and with a bunch of nice lakes to choose from as well as many miles of trails, I think there are some unique options for swim/run type events too.

I hope everyone will give it a chance before rushing to judgement. Madison isn't some little hick town in backwoods Wisconsin. Great food + beer scene, beautiful downtown, amazing lakes + nature...I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Weather wise, the temperatures probably won't be quite as high (usually ~80 degrees F at that time of year) but it does get humid. However it could just as easily be 70 degrees, or 95...a lot more variability there than in SoCal.

The biggest downside is the airport situation, since the Dane County airport is very small. But Chicago and Milwaukee are nearby.

My hat is off to Castro for going off the beaten path a bit. I'm sure it is a risk for them in some ways, but man is it great to get some love for the midwest!

Victor J McQuaide 11-21-2016 10:07 AM

Gotta say that I have been spoiled with Carson living 90 min away.

Madison.. well lets say I don't think that it will be as good location for International. Everyone in the world wants to go to Los Angeles… they have the beach, Hollywood, fun.. but that has been played out.

The draw from the world might be less. So many other places..especially world wide.. Miami, Seattle, Dallas, Boston, Chicago, San Diego, Portland, Denver.. Madison.. going to be a harder sale.

Even Casto said basically he hopes they keep an open mind..

But heck they could go anywhere and people are going to go.

They put out a great product and everyone drinks the drink..

Wonder what the final decision was based on?

Scott Jenkins 11-21-2016 10:12 AM

Flying to Los Angeles from Europe is very expensive. Madison sounds fantastic, half the price for flights and a lot of nature, perfect for me.

Steven Wingo 11-21-2016 05:36 PM

I really like the choice of venue, a great change of pace from L.A. and a very great location at that time of year. A three year term is perfect, then move on to some of the other outstanding venues available out there. Will be great to see The Games in Europe at some point which based upon CrossFit participation should be the first outside North American location.

Greg Morrison 11-23-2016 11:44 AM

Is there an outdoor tennis stadium type venue there?

Alex Burden 11-24-2016 05:40 AM

I was looking at their homepage and they have a bit of space https://www.alliantenergycenter.com/ (WFS)

They have pavilions too for cows and horses..... so may there is a new event coming up next year that we all need to work on.... throw the cow/horse as far as possible :rofl: or a milk race :rofl: or pick up the biggest turd you can find :rofl::rofl:

I take most of it will be the Veterans Memorial Coliseum or at least the final day, up to 10,231-person capacity depending on the set up of the stage.

I wonder if they can open the roof, i mean that is part of the games and the atmosphere.

Victor J McQuaide 11-28-2016 11:36 AM

I'm sure they have a good reason for moving to Madison. Just seems like such a jump from LA. But we all drank the cool aid so I am sure that it will be fine.

Scott Jenkins 12-03-2016 03:38 PM

I heard rumours that some kind of horse riding will be in the games next year

Alex Burden 12-04-2016 06:02 AM

I am curious about the weather as this played a large role for many last year.

What weather, heat do you Scott and Vic prefer?