CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What happens when a Crossfiter discovers an Intruder (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21638)

Colin McNulty 09-19-2007 02:50 AM

What happens when a Crossfiter discovers an Intruder

Bare in mind I'm in the UK, so reaching for a machine gun wasn't an option. My story is too long to post here, so here's a link to my blog (work and family safe): Adrenalin Fuelled Crossfit Reaction to an Intruder

Gene Chun 09-19-2007 07:38 AM

Re: What happens when a Crossfiter discovers an Intruder

wow, great story - i've got goosebumps!!

Brent Lucas 09-19-2007 07:52 AM

What you felt going up the stairs is called "Fight Dump". All that wonderful adrenaline and nothing to do with it...LOL! :D FRAN WHERE ARE YOU?

The key here is you found yourself in a place not many people ever want to arrive in, and you manned up and made the decision to take the guy on. You even started the charge! RIGHT ON!

You should look at yourself just a little different in the mirror from now on.

Good work brother.

Colin McNulty 09-20-2007 01:20 AM

Cheers Guys. "Fight Dump", I'll have to look that up.

I remember watching some program about why seemingly fit and healthy company managers can drop down dead of a heart attack. The short version was that the stresses and strains of office politics, deadlines and often over bearing work loads, produced regular adrenalin spikes. However, without the associated physical activity, without the "Fight or Flight" then all that adrenalin was actually very bad for you.

The conclusion was that evolution has not equipped the human being to handle office work... yet.

Lisa Fairclough 09-20-2007 04:25 AM

Think I had a fight dump just reading that story! :D

Cal Jones 09-20-2007 04:51 AM

LMAO! Thank goodness your wife turned around in time!

I remember when my parents still lived in London in a three story house, my dad, who was then in his 60s, head someone moving about downstairs and went down armed with a poker. He found a burglar calmly wrapping up ornaments in tea towels in the kitchen, and managed to chased him off! Rather frighteningly, the intruder had brought one of the axes out from the shed, though it appeared he'd probably intended to use it to break in rather than murder my parents. Good job for my dad!

Colin McNulty 09-20-2007 11:41 PM

The irony was, that the black hoodie she was wearing, was a Crossfit Top!

Barry Cooper 09-23-2007 05:06 PM

The thing about "fight or flight" is it shuts down the frontal cortex, in effect turning you into the Hulk. Your pain tolerance and strength are way up, your blood vessels constrict to reduce blood loss in the event of being hurt, and you are insanely fearful or aggressive, but you can't think clearly. This is one of the potential downfalls, in my view, of training to use that aggression in a fight. It can be useful, but you need a toggle switch.

George Mounce 09-23-2007 05:12 PM

Oh man, a happy ending for what could have been disastrous! I'm glad all ended well.

Jason Lopez-Ota 09-24-2007 03:14 AM

:rofl: I'm glad you didn't throw your wife through a window. You might not have a gun, but maybe you have a bat or something. I don't know if there are any legal consequences though.