CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Multiple muscle ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=6791)

Jeff Hayes 04-02-2007 07:31 AM

Hey y'all- question. Some of the CF workouts such as nasty girls calls for multiple muslcle ups. I can normally get just one on my best day right now. I know that it is typical to sub out 3 pull ups and 3 ring dips for 1 muscle up in a multiple muscle up workout. What about jumping muscle ups for a sub? I can get multiples with just a little help from a jumping start. Is this sufficient? Should I sub 3 jumping MU's for one?

Steven Low 04-02-2007 11:44 AM

You can sub whatever you want for them honestly as long as it challenges you. I would suggest jumping muscle ups with a slow eccentric/lower down WITH a good false grip.

Brett Tom 04-06-2007 05:28 PM

Got my first ever muscle up today. Been practicing at home lately with some DIY rubber doggie rings and webbing. Got to Crossfit NYC this evening and got 4 separate real live ring muscle ups after 1 failed start. I'm stoked.

Paul Findley 04-06-2007 06:50 PM

Jeff,

I am about where you are, maybe 1-3 MU and I am spent. After that, I have a partner assist me through the transition, just enough to keep motion, then at least always attempt to pull a second one, so lower maintaining the grip and try again, but I don't let them assist too much if I cannot get into the start of the transition. I just drop from there, rest, rinse, repeat.

Michael Winker 04-06-2007 06:53 PM

Hey Jeff, here's what work for me. Grab a weight bench or a chair and use your legs to spot yourself. That's how I finally learned the muscle-up and how I do multiple muscle-ups. It works great and you work your muscles through the range of motion and maintain a high metcon load.

Hope this helps.

Wink

Ian Holmes 04-06-2007 08:56 PM

Try starting from support. Rather than starting your first muscle up hanging, start at the top, then control the down portion, and go into the next one...

Skylar Cook 04-07-2007 01:09 PM

I can get about 3 on my first set, then need a rest, then a couple of sets of 2, then drop down to sets of one; with about 10-15 seconds of rest in between each mini-set. I feel like I can continue to do sets of one for most workouts, it just takes forever.

That said, would you guys recommend to do a bunch of single MUs for the later sets in a workout, or do jumping MUs? So far I've just been subbing 3/3 Pu/dip.

Sorry for threadjacking :wink:.

(Message edited by surfreak on April 07, 2007)

Ian Holmes 04-07-2007 10:52 PM

I personally would vote singles with breaks over jumping muscle-ups... though this depends upon whether you are doing the workout for intensity purposes or strength purposes. You could probably keep your intensity up if you did jumping MUs, but I would say working on the singles will benefit you more...

Leonid Soubbotine 04-10-2007 05:52 AM

Put together a pulley system.
Cost to build - about 30 bucks-
2 Carabiners (Home Depot) 150 lbs capacity - $6
Steel cable (Home Depot) - $10-15
Belt - $free-15

A bit of creativity and you can do them non stop.