CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   my first day/meal on Zone (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41100)

James lee 01-05-2009 09:18 AM

my first day/meal on Zone

I am:
5 ' 10"
180lbs
33 waist
6.5 wrist
very active (crossfit/krav maga)

according to Zonediet.com, i am at 20 blocks. I'm doing 5 5 5 with 3,2 snacks.

I just had my breakfast and i couldn't finish my food (eggs and bread).

5 eggs(2 whole, 3 white) scrambled w/
1.5 oz cheese (5 BP)
2 tbs catsup (1 BC)
1 slice of bread (2 BC)
1 apple (2 BC)
15 almonds (5 BF)
as i type this, I'm still looking at the apple...

First question is, does my calculation look correct? Second is, what happens if i can't finish the food?

thanks!

Jeff Hendrix 01-05-2009 10:16 AM

Re: my first day/meal on Zone

That's a tiny meal!

Short of saying "suck it up," I guess you could try cutting back the portions just a tad and work your way up to it over a week or so.

James lee 01-05-2009 10:22 AM

With everyone saying that they are starving being on Zone, i wasn't sure if i'm doing this right.

I probably should hold off on my judgement till i get through the day though seeing that this was my first meal :rolleyes:

Nick Lavato 01-05-2009 10:23 AM

I'd say at 5'10" 180 20 blocks may be high...a lot of people over estimate their block requirements/energy levels. Try 16 or 17 blocks and see how you feel. I was doing 16 blocks when I did zone and I'm 5'11" 200.

James Compora 01-05-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Lavato (Post 485364)
I'd say at 5'10" 180 20 blocks may be high...a lot of people over estimate their block requirements/energy levels. Try 16 or 17 blocks and see how you feel. I was doing 16 blocks when I did zone and I'm 5'11" 200.

im 5'8'' 200 and doing 18, i couldnt imagine eating 20+

Joey Shannon 01-05-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Compora (Post 485368)
im 5'8'' 200 and doing 18, i couldnt imagine eating 20+

I'm 5'6" and weigh 165 lbs. I am doing 14 blocks and seems to be perfect for me. I usually don't start getting hungry until 3 to 3.5 hours after I eat. By no means am I starving!

Eddie Watts 01-05-2009 11:54 AM

6'4" on a large male plan of 5, 5, 2, 5, 2 so 19 blocks.

finding i feel very hungry got to be honest, but i'm used to eating more plus just getting back after xmas excesses.
what do people think about splitting blocks?
as i work out in my lunch break i have a choice of having breakfast at 7.45-8 and nothing until post workout at 2 (makes me feel reall hungry)
whereas i could split my breakfast into 3 block and have a 2 block snack at 11 (making my day 3, 2, 5, 2, 5, 2) this keeps a big meal immediately after WOD.

i'll see it through to end of week before making my mind up anyways, just wanted feedback from others.

Moran Bentzur 01-05-2009 02:13 PM

As you can see from the comments 20 blocks is a little high. Try removing a couple of blocks. One other thing that can help is gradually moving from unfavorable to favorable carb choices. unfavorable choices (grains, bread, rice) pack a lot of carbs per volume. This can help you when start. Once you get used to the diet swap more and more veggies and fruits instead of these.

James Compora 01-05-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moran Bentzur (Post 485582)
As you can see from the comments 20 blocks is a little high. Try removing a couple of blocks. One other thing that can help is gradually moving from unfavorable to favorable carb choices. unfavorable choices (grains, bread, rice) pack a lot of carbs per volume. This can help you when start. Once you get used to the diet swap more and more veggies and fruits instead of these.

great advice, i did this also

James lee 01-05-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Watts (Post 485446)
6'4" on a large male plan of 5, 5, 2, 5, 2 so 19 blocks.

your 6'4 and on a "large male" plan? I would consider you an XL.. and there lies the problem for me. THe table in the Journal is not the most clear and defining plan...and that's why i chose to used the calculator on Zonediet.com. According to its automated calculations, i should be on 20. Is that wrong or right? I am choosing to assume that it is since it knows better than me choosing what the definition of "medium male, large male, etc" and picking the block requirements. To me, that makes more sense because i would personally think that i am an "athletic-well muscled male" :)

I think the bottom line is that i will have to play with it a bit and dial it in but to me... if you 6'4" and using 19, i would double check that on zonediet.com (WFS).

do you feel the difference since you've been Zone? How long have you been on it?