CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Are there HEAVY WEIGHT women out there?? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67110)

Stephanie Vincent 05-12-2011 10:13 AM

Are there HEAVY WEIGHT women out there??

Hello CF message board!!

I am wondering how many heavy weight women out there, 165+ doing crossfit??

It would be nice to have some other heavy weights to compete/compare with! Would love to start a blog or facebook page.

P.S.
I'm 225lbs, 5'9" Crossfitting almost 2years. Started out 100lbs heavier. My current weight is what I have to work with (i have no interest in TRYING to lose more weight) I eat clean and do 3 on 1 off. Got 20-30lbs extra skin- maybe one day i can afford to remove the weight vest!! I am now a pretty average crossfitter...I can crush a 1RM (DL325, SP100, C&J145, S110, BS220,FS195), a weighlifiting WOD and rowing...my biggest weakness still is moving my body weight with my upperbody. I'm strong, but I do CF not a Strength sport becuase I want to be as well rounded and fit as possible. If i have to pick my kids up and run for my life I plan on being able to do it.

Are there other strong, committed crossfitting girls that have more weight to work with than the average female out there??

you can hit me up at Stephanie@radicalhateloss.com

Helen M Brennan 05-14-2011 06:17 PM

Re: Are there HEAVY WEIGHT women out there??

what a GREAT and refreshing attitude. You rock woman!

cheers

Helen

Leah Lutz 05-14-2011 11:19 PM

Yep, I'm a heavy weight too. :)

I am 195, down from 265. I have spent some time doing dedicated strength training, but I cycle back into standard CrossFit as well. Right now I am crossfitting, with some extra strength work.

My 1RM-DL 300, BS 290, FS 218, SPress 100, and sadly my C&J is 133, Sn is 93. I am fine with many of the wods, but I really don't enjoy a lot of running and my upperbody strength can't match my weight at all!

I have kept a blog in the past and am thinking of starting it up again.

Leah

Tamara Cohen 05-15-2011 05:00 AM

I'm not a CrossFitter, and I'm not 165 lbs yet, but I'll throw myself into the ring in a gesture of support.

I'm 5'8 and 157 lbs, and I'm going up to 165 lbs to move from the 69 kg weight class to the 75 kg weight class for weightlifting. This is after being 174 lbs when I started exercising again two years ago, around 165 lbs when I started CrossFit shortly after that, and down to a low of 132 lbs when I competed at Sectionals and Regionals last year.

So, I've put on almost 25 lbs in the last year. I realized the other day that I'm already on the "heavy" side for a CrossFitter at 157 lbs, haha - http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...es/2010/women/ (WFS). Laura DeMarco was the only woman who weighed over 160 lbs who competed at the Games last year, and she's 5'10.

And, for a weightlifter, I'm still really lean.

I got called "bulky" for the first time (at least that I know of, heh) the other day. A friend said I was "looking pretty bulky" followed by the fact that she thought at 132 lbs I was "looking really good super meth head skinny." Nice. I have never trained for aesthetics, but the meth addict look was NOT a good one. Seriously.

Stats:
Snatch - 53 kilos (116.6 lbs)
Clean and jerk - 153 lbs
OHS - 148 lbs
Front squat - 170 lbs
Low bar squat - 220 lbs (from 2010)
Deadlift - 270 lbs (from 2010)

Erin Hightower 05-23-2011 05:25 PM

new to it... but I'm 193 lbs 5'8" and just got into the healthy bf% range
scaled it back but I keep coming back

Sara Thomas 05-26-2011 03:08 PM

I'm 5'8" and about 180lbs. Or so. Don't know for sure - threw out my scale awhile back. Down from 225lbs a little over a year ago.

I'm not really tracking what I eat very closely anymore, but with the starting strength program I'm on (now mixed with some running for an upcoming 5k), my body is still changing and every week someone asks me if I'm still losing weight. Seeing their face when I say 'wow, thanks, but I really have no idea'. Ha!!

Here's to a healthy body image at whatever lbs that works out to. :highfive:

Ronna J Dillinger 05-29-2011 05:32 PM

I have been doing Crossfit for 4 months and the scale has gone from 217.5 to 202.5. I am 5'11" and 40 years old. I have been happy with the weight loss but haven't improved my PRs so much. I am focused on getting healthier and stronger rather than just in it for weight loss but don't have the numbers like anyone on this page.

Liz Stanley 06-01-2011 07:57 AM

I'm not a heavy weight by any means, but I think it's great that people of all different body shapes and sizes can find success. And also that everyone has their own unique strengths/advantages where they can excel.

Mary-Margaret Jones 03-14-2012 08:48 AM

I'm starting with crossfit; I'd be "heavyweight" if I hopped on a scale. Instead, I go by clothing sizes.

This is exactly the kind of post I needed to find. It's nice to see there are women of all shapes and sizes into crossfit.

Helen M Brennan 03-18-2012 05:02 AM

:welcome Mary-Margaret

you will never regret starting CF..

Helen