CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Weighted Pull Ups (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36502)

Matthew Cahn 08-31-2008 08:24 PM

Weighted Pull Ups

Whats the best way to weight yourself on these? I was using a dip belt and hanging from a pull up bar, the weight hanging from a chain between my legs hit the wall with a loud thud whenever I tried to kip. and it worked against me. Is there a better way?

Anthony DiSarro 08-31-2008 08:33 PM

Re: Weighted Pull Ups

we just put a dumbbell high up between the thighs and pinch it there. i go with 80# and its no problem.

Cormac O'Connor 08-31-2008 08:49 PM

I put a db or two between my ankles, never had any problems. I've also put weight plates in a backpack but you have to have some padding in there or you can hurt your back quite easily I think.

Do people really kip on weighted PUs? I realize kipping is the default PU style but always figured it was impractical for weighted PUs.

Derek Maffett 08-31-2008 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=Cormac O'Connor;390045]
Do people really kip on weighted PUs? I realize kipping is the default PU style but always figured it was impractical for weighted PUs.[/QUOTE]

IMNSHO, you shouldn't.

Richard Vanmeerbeek 09-01-2008 04:49 AM

[QUOTE=Cormac O'Connor;390045]

Do people really kip on weighted PUs? I realize kipping is the default PU style but always figured it was impractical for weighted PUs.[/QUOTE]

There's no way to kip from a certain weight. They should all be deadhang.

Justin Lascek 09-01-2008 05:43 AM

I used the straps from my rings to hang kettlebells and plates from. It hung on the lower part of my back, like those fancy belts with chains on them at some gyms.

Scott Allen Hanson 09-01-2008 06:07 AM

Here's a demo of different methods (wfs): [URL="http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_WeightedPullups.wmv"]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_WeightedPullups.wmv[/URL]

I use the long loop of tubular webbing to hang a plate between my legs, which I can also control with my feet. I don't kip, but my son does with this method and it seems to work pretty well for him. If your goal is to develop raw pulling strength, I wouldn't kip.

Michael Holmes 09-01-2008 10:07 AM

i've found the cheapest and best way for me is to use a judo (or any martial arts belt) tie whatever you want onto it and tie the ends together in a bow so you can take them off easily after. it sits just above your *** and i've never had any problems with it

Sam Ser 09-01-2008 10:40 AM

i started doing these recently and switched from holding a dumbbell between my thighs to putting plates in a padded backpack. it's more comfortable -- the knurling on the dumbbell chafed my thighs -- and there's no risk of me accidentally dropping the weight onto my tile floor. also, i can focus just on pulling.

i imagine a weighted vest would be the most comfortable, but a backpack that you already have lying around is a whole lot cheaper.

...i should point out, though, that i'm "only" using about 55 pounds right now on my heaviest pull-ups, and i can fit that much in plates into the bag. guys who can do pull-ups with 80 or 100 pounds probably need to use a dip belt or some other solution.

Mike Deavers 09-01-2008 01:48 PM

I'm using a plate carrier with both front and back hard plates right now. I can take the plates out and slide in a 25lb plate in each pocket or stack a few smaller plates in each. Works reasonably well.

Ben Chapman 09-01-2008 02:48 PM

use the dip belt, don't kip.

In my opinion, unless the workout is for time, your should not be kipping on a weighted pullup. The whole point of doing them is to develop raw pullup strength. As an example, do you think somone who does a few kipping pullups, but CANNOT do a deadhang pullup should be putting weight on himself?

Same principle as Grace. Grace is ground to overhead anyway possible, in the interest of a better time. On a workout of 3-3-3-3-3, for clean and jerk, you better believe you are expected to focus on proper technique, not just getting it overhead by any means. Same goes for a pullup strength day, get the proper movement with as much extra weight as you can. Kipping kind of works against the concept of max strength in my opinion. (I also don't see the logic in kipping for a 1-rep set of anything)

Wade Smith 09-01-2008 04:25 PM

I string a couple 45lb steel plates (with some smaller ones as I progress) on the dip-belt chain. No possible way I could kip with that. If someone can kip with 90+lbs hanging between their legs, I'd like to see it. Ratchet up, yes. Kip, no.

Frank M Needham 09-01-2008 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Matthew Cahn;390036]Whats the best way to weight yourself on these? I was using a dip belt and hanging from a pull up bar, the weight hanging from a chain between my legs hit the wall with a loud thud whenever I tried to kip. and it worked against me. Is there a better way?[/QUOTE]

I use a belt too Mathew and I sort of wrap the hanging weight and chain between my legs to minimize swinging when it occurs. Its not really that I'm trying to kip but when one tries to get aggressive the dang thing can start swinging.

Jeremy O'Neil 09-01-2008 10:40 PM

IBA (individual body amour) worked great if you can get your hands on it. I performed the WOD outside here in Iraq and had a great workout. The IBA is 20lbs roughly with front plates and allows plenty of room to add more weight as well.