CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Some advice for my wife please. (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27012)

Joe Waguespack 02-02-2008 02:22 PM

Some advice for my wife please.

My wife and I have recently started the Zone. We have been eating healthy for a long time and neither of us is overweight. We basically have been eating "zone friendly" foods all along but never actually did the calculations in the book till recently. I just did it to see if I felt different since I am happy with my current weight and BF%. My wife on the other hand is trying to lose 15-20 lbs. She is currently 142 at 5'6 and she is 25 yrs old. So we did all the calculations and took the measurements and we came out with 10 blocks for her and 15 blocks for me. In the past week i dropped 4 pounds, actually look leaner and feel as if I have filled out more around the chest and shoulders. i was shocked at such a change in a week. My wife gained a few pounds and is kind of discouraged, she trains CF 4 times a week right now ( she is just getting familiar with the WO's). 10 blocks is not a lot of food, and all we use is chickenbreasts, fish, egg whites, oatmeal(breakfast only) fruits, veggies and nuts. Thats it. I know a week is not enough time for her to see a change. But has anyone else noticed a weight gain at first?

Ian Carver 02-02-2008 04:45 PM

Re: Some advice for my wife please.

I am waiting on an answer for this one too, if anyone out there has one. I am in the same exact position with my wife and I am trying to keep her from getting discouraged. It worked well for her for a while, now a major plateau. We recalculated everything, went back to strict numbers, and are waiting to see some results. I posted the same question on the Zone website, but haven't gotten anything solid back for an answer yet.

Anyone have any input for us?

Susie Rosenberg 02-02-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Carver (Post 251671)
I am waiting on an answer for this one too, if anyone out there has one. I am in the same exact position with my wife and I am trying to keep her from getting discouraged. It worked well for her for a while, now a major plateau. We recalculated everything, went back to strict numbers, and are waiting to see some results. I posted the same question on the Zone website, but haven't gotten anything solid back for an answer yet.

Anyone have any input for us?

I seem to do better eating more fat. If your wife is eating straight fat blocks, try doubling the fat blocks and keep the protein and carb the same.

If she's training CF 4x/week, she may be slowing her metabolism down too much with so few calories. Try upping the fat.

The other suggestion is to make sure you take measurements. If she is putting muscle on, the scale may not reflect her actual fat loss, but measurements and the fit of her clothes might. My scale weight hasn't changed much from a year ago, but my body is completely different and I lost 2 dress sizes.

Finally, tell your wife patience is required. The scale doesn't always reward us on our schedule. It takes persistence and time. Lots of time.

Susie

Patrick Donnelly 02-02-2008 07:14 PM

Re: Joe
Your initial weightloss was probably water or food weight. If you want to follow the Zone, I suggest that you keep to Paleo food choices, and increase your fat consumption drastically over the 40:30:30 ratios. From the pictures you posted in the Testimonials section, you really don't have all that much fat to loose. Depending on how much fruit you ate prior to the Zone (as some Paleo dieters are biased against veggies), 15 blocks of carbohydrates may be more than you need too.

How much weight did your wife gain? You've got measure yourself at the same time of day each day, and average it out over several days. The food in your system makes a huge difference.

Sarena Kopciel 02-02-2008 08:27 PM

Also remember with us women monthly hormonal changes effect weight as well. Additionally you may be wise to both limit fruit to 1-2x daily and upping other carb sources to dark green veggies--ie spinach, kale, collards, broccoli and the like. I tend to put on weight with fruits and get a sugar high/crash but veggies are high in fiber while still being a carb!! I also limit the "carbier" veggies or avoid them totally--ie carrots, winter squash, yams etc.
But thats me and I am anal about my food intake...
Best of luck and if you have any further questions, ask away thats what we are here for. But it would be wise to create a fitday log for both you and your wife to really get a good look at your daily intake! That would also help others that are trying to help you guys!

Joe Waguespack 02-02-2008 09:06 PM

Thanks for the input. Yeah we both eat a lot of fruit. Mostly apples, grapefruit, blueberries, strawberries and cantaloupe. We also eat green veggies also. That may be one of her problems but I have manipulated my nutrition enough through the years where I know what works for me. I am actually one of those weird people who can eat a lot of white potatoes and bananas and lean out . I actually notice that when I add in more fruit and white potatoes I start to lean out. I know that goes against everything but it's true. I am having great success with the Zone and love it. i am already very lean but I really like the way I feel on The Zone. I was looking more for the performance aspect rather then the weight loss.I am mainly trying to get her in the groove. I told her to give it two weeks , then after that I'll have her reduce the fruit. She only gained four pounds but I think seeing me lose four kind of discouraged her. Thanks for all you guy's input . I really appreciate it.

Emily Mattes 02-03-2008 11:14 AM

Yeah, I was going to say what Sarena said--I always gain about 5lbs right before my period, so is there any chance that could be the case?

Joe Waguespack 02-03-2008 01:13 PM

Yeah thats another thing that has her a little discouraged is that she weighed less on her last "time of the month" then she does now. I just think she needs to adjust. I keep hearing about the 2 week transition period with The Zone.

Adam Levenson 02-04-2008 11:02 AM

I'd say hide the scale. She may actually lose very little weight doign xfit. All that muscle replacing fat and getting better and compound weight lifiting movements do that to you.

To feed the OCD that most people have about scales, track your performance on your WOD and start a strict food log. In about 2 months review your progress on choice work outs.

You could even pick one of the body weight work outs and do a base line run today. And then instead of the normal wod once a week repeat that and see how much better you do.

Either way, ditch the scale in the bath room for the a food scale in the kitchen :D

Chris Jodlowski 02-06-2008 08:34 AM

Hi Joe,

I went through something similar to what your wife is seeing when I first started cross fit a couple years ago. I was so hung up on weight that I started working out more than I needed to (skipping work days) and skimping on food, and over time, my performace dropped. So I started eating more and incorporating my rest days and, sure enough, my weight went up. It was pretty discouraging.

Then, I saw someone I hadn't seen in a few months, and her reaction was "OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING, YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE." The entire time, I'd been dropping fat and replacing it with additional lean body mass, resulting in a relatively stable, or even slightly increasing overall weight. But I was so hung up on the weight part, I wasn't seeing the forest through the trees.

In simple terms, what you weigh doesn't matter. We've become so hung up on weight, that things like lean body mass and body fat percentage have become meaningless. Use time to your advantage. Convince her to give it a month or two of religious application of diet and crossfit. Take some measurements (hips, waist, thighs) and, if it makes her feel better, let her stand on the scale. Then go about your business for at least a month. Then take the measurements again and, if she wants after that, take the scale out and let her stand on it again. My bet is, when she sees the *actual* results, she'll think her weight is a little less important.

Let us know how it goes.