PDA

View Full Version : A good Crossfit breakfast?

Sam McCune
11-25-2006, 05:15 AM
Every morning I come downstairs and look through the cabinets hoping that I see something worth eating. There is always the temptation to eat bread, jelly, or something with no nutrious value. What do you guys eat for breakfast that is full of protein and sets you off for the rest of the day? Lately, I've been eating eggs(eggbeaters) and almonds.

Frank M Needham
11-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Others will have thier own ideas but here's what I generally do. For time's sake I do some cooking ahead. When going to the market I'll buy several lbs of beef, pork, etc. or whatever strikes me as edible. Bring it home and cook enough for 2 or 3 days of morning and lunch meals, the ones that are difficult to do while not at home of course. That along with whatever sides I snag from the cupboards or fridge takes good care of me. Sorry, but I'd stay away from those beaters. Maybe its just me but those things worry me.

Sam Lepore
11-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Egg White Omelettes with some veggies and olive oil. Some slow cooked oatmeal.

If no time for the omelettes then hard boil some eggs.

Yael Grauer
11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I usually either eat scrambled eggs with veggies and sometimes bacon or turkey bacon, or I'll have a smoothie with raw milk, berries, raw eggs (grassfed), and sometimes a little coconut milk.

Rob McBee
11-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Eggs cooked in 1Tbsp. coconut oil, apple w/ almond butter. 1 Tbsp. CLO, 1 probiotics cap, 3 digestive enzymes, vitamin/mineral.

Jeff Dale
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
steel cut oats with berries and olive oil.
4 egg whites and one whole egg.
2 fish oil tablets
I cook about 5 days worth of oats at a time and hardboil 18 eggs at a time. I don't like to cook.

Rachel Bjorn
11-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Slow-cooked oatmeal w/ 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein stirred in, topped with toasted pecans or almonds. Heaven. Perfect amounts of protein/carb/fat too.

A turkey sausage/egg white scramble (protein) that includes chopped sauteed veggies (carbs), topped with a bit of soft cheese (fat), and 1/2 an apple (carb).

Kim Dowse
11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
My favorite for breakfast is an egg white pancake.

6 egg whites
4 tbsp (steel cut)oats
8 drops stevia
few shakes cinnamon
1/2 cup blueberries (I also sustitute other berries or 1/3 of a banana)
2 tsp slivered almonds

Heat pan over low heat. Add in ~ 1 tsp olive oil. (Pan needs to be HOT before adding batter)
Beat egg whites until frothy. Add in oats, stevia and cinnamon. Beat all ingredients. Pour all the batter into pan and cover with a lid until the top lightly sets from the steam. Flip the giant cake over and let the other side cook without the lid. I make one giant pancake from this in a 9" pan. After it is done I top with blueberries and almonds.

This morning I mixed in a 1/4 cup pumpkin (instead of bluberry topping). I then topped it with a bit of smart balance and 1oz of Walden Farms pancake syrup (made with splenda). It tasted really good.

Om Sundays, I'll make three or four pancakes and refrigerate them, then just nuke them in the morning...saves me time before work.

Paul Findley
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Breakfast is a struggle. We eat so many eggs it seems crazy. I did have some pan fried flounder the other day, that was a good break. We are not strict zone so we sneak in pancakes or waffles sometimes. But its not your ordinary recipe:

For one serving it looks something like this:

1-2 O3 Eggs
2 or more Whites from a cheap egg
1/4 - 1/3 cup flour
1/4+ tsp baking powder
Dannon lowfat yogurt (seems to have the best ratios)
liquid from milk, juice or water to pouring
1/2+ TBS of Pure Olive oil
Some cinnamon and or vanilla if your into that

No butter, no sugar, pan sprayed with olive oil.

There is a wide window that will make a edible pancake that is even closer to a zone ratio, you do have to allow a little in the flour/milk department.

Chris Forbis
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
1 pound of grassfed ground beef (75% lean)
1 pound of broccoli
1/4 cup nuts (walnuts or almonds)
1 tbsp cod liver oil

The breakfast of champions... :-)

Hone Watson
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Sounds pretty good Chris.

I second meat and vegetables.

Keith Wittenstein
11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
eggs, apples and almonds.

Max Seid
11-26-2006, 09:38 PM
About a cup of cooked oatmeal with 40-50 almonds and some dried cranberries and a protein shake.

Steve Liberati
11-26-2006, 10:01 PM
When I'm not fasting (1 day on/1 off) I normally make a fruit smoothie for my wife and I. Frozen blueberries, a banana, cage-free raw eggs, CLO, flax seeds, 1/2 scoop of isolated whey protein for enhanced flavor and sesame seeds all mixed up in a blender. Other days I'll have a piece of meat (either a few slices of ham or pork chops or chicken sausage) and some scrambled eggs.

Sarena Kopciel
11-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Had a great breakfast today...some tuna (or sometimes salmon) mixed w/ dijon mustard, some avocado, greens wrapped in a nori. Portable and on the go fully balanced meal!

Graham Tidey
11-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry, I don't want to hijack. I'm a scamble eggs man myself, but what's the deal with leaving out the yolks?

Max Seid
11-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Leaving out the yolks takes out the fat in the egg. You are just eating egg whites which are purely protein, virtually fat free, and very low in calories. I would substitute two egg whites per egg that you normally eat if you are infact taking out the yolks. You can also use one whole egg (yolk included) and then substitute egg whites for the rest just to have some fat content in your meal.

Becca Borawski
11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
But aren't you also getting rid of a lot of good nutrients?

Steve VanGilder
11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
I do that too. When I make eggs, I'll often make extra, then ditch 1/3 to 1/2 of the yokes. Basically it's like eating extra whites for extra protein (I more often eat the yokes when I buy good organic eggs, and do the yolk ditching/extra white thing when I buy regular eggs. In my mind, I also don't like eating too many regular yolks, and I don't want to ditch yolks from expensive good quality healthy yokes. Just a personal quirk).

When I eat fruit, I usually only eat it by itself in the morning on an empty stomach. So, that's half of breakfast, then a protein shake for the second half.

Steel cut oats (oatmeal) cooked in a small crock-pot is the perfect breakfast when I want something hot and I don't want to cook. Start it up just before bed time (including a pinch of salt, a cinamon stick, ground flax, and a 1/4 if amount of buckwheat (plus anything else you want (a bit of carob, whole herbs, soaked almonds, etc)). Then wake up to a healthy, hot breakfast just waiting to be eaten. You can also buy one of those timers that people use for lights when they're on vacation and use it on your crock pot of steel cut oats to adjust cooking time automatically. Cleaver huh?

Yael, can you suggest where to find info for buying raw milk?

(Message edited by stiggybaby on November 28, 2006)

Mark Madonna
11-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Turkey Breast
1 Yam
1 avocado

Sarena Kopciel
11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
What do you put in your protein shakes? I kinda gave up on that whole thing since I started Paleo....

Sam Cannons
11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
3 Egg Omlete With 60 grams Of Tuna
1 Cup of Salsa
1 Cup Of Oats with a cup of berries

or

2 Oranges
1 Cup Of Cottage Cheese
Hand Full Of Macadamia Nuts

Depends on time

Yael Grauer
11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
www.realmilk.org (http://www.realmilk.org)

Tom C Lopez
11-29-2006, 02:44 AM
couple pieces of fruit followed by eggs & bacon or kippers with a big salad, lots of nuts and seeds.

or a whey protein shake with berrys if im running late

Rachel Bjorn
11-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Egg yolks are high in arachidonic acid, one of the more villainous fats. Arachidonic acid causes the production of bad eicosanoids such as thromboxane A2--the inducer of blood clots, high blood pressure, and bad cholesterol. Egg yolks & organ meats (liver, etc.) are the top carriers of arachidonic acid.

Egg whites are rich in protein, riboflavin and selenium, and very low in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Hone Watson
12-03-2006, 06:55 PM
I love egg yokes and saturated fat Mmmm Mmmmm. ;)