PDA

View Full Version : Coffee: Americano vs Regular

Mike ODonnell
10-07-2006, 07:02 AM
I know..the old coffee debate. If one cup a day is my worst vice...I should be ok.

But this is not about that, it's about something I read somewhere saying that is was healthier to have an Americano or Expresso vs the regular roasted coffee?? Anyone know why this is? I am not an efficianado (cant even spell it) so hence everything at Starbucks is in another language. But how is the way an expresso is made be healthier than using coffee beans in the normal brewing process??

Howard Wilcox
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm just guessing, but contrary to popular belief, espresso has less caffeine than a regular or light roast. I think the extra roasting must destroy more of the caffeine than beans that are roasted less.

Howard

Matthew Scoble
10-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Espresso does have slightly less caffeine than a cup of drip coffee. Howard is right, the darker the roast the less caffeine. Although a shot of espresso does have less total caffeine than a cup of coffee, it is much more concentrated, so it will tend to have a more immediate effect, not unlike a shot of whiskey as compared to a can of beer-- same total alcohol, different short term effect.

I don't think there is any research showing that coffee, per se, is unhealthy. Things we put in it may be, but coffee itself is fine.

John Daniel
10-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Actually, the roast makes only a very small and basically insignificant difference in the total caffeine. (It also depends if you measure coffee by weight or volume, darker roasts are lighter, so they have slightly more per gram)

At Starbucks, a tall Americano has about 200mg of caff, while a tall coffee has 350mg.

Espresso has much more caffeine per ounce, but an americano dilutes 2oz of espresso with 14oz of hot water.

Oops...you guys know my vice!

Sean Pizel
10-09-2006, 04:54 AM
In my experience Drip coffee, properly prepared, has considerably more caffeine. The guys at Blue Bottle in the Bay Area are the uncontested masters. Here are their instructions. http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/preparation_filterdrip.html

If you live withen, say, 200 miles of one of their stores, and haven't stopped in for a drink, you have erred.

10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
espresso = more antioxidants
caffeine = arguable but probably not a huge concern. it's an antioxidant itself. if you're on the robb wolf program of 8 shots before 9 am, you may end up with some adrenal stress over time. but really, what do need your adrenal glands for?