PDA

View Full Version : Modified Deadlifts - question

Trevor Ryan
10-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been having some trouble with deadlifts in regards to soreness in the lower back on day 2. Not a stunning laid up in bed pain, but more of a soreness that I notice that wasn't there prior to deadlifts. I do have 2 slighlty herniated discs due to wrestling injuries, so want to be cautious. I feel my biggest problem is setting up on them. Each time I set up I feel the bar is just a bit too low for me to get in proper deadlift position and I have to sacrifice positioning to reach the bar. I'm short (5'5") and not flexible, so this may be a reason for my trouble in getting into the position.

What I did today on my deadlifts was 1. drop the weight a lot and increase the reps, and 2. I placed a plate flat on the ground under the ends of barbell where the plates are to allow the starting position to be higher off the ground. I did this today and it felt really good. I felt like I was able to get in position without forcing it and I felt good throughout the sets.

I'm wondering what everyone's take is on that modified deadlift starting position of giving a few extra inches off the ground to get in the right position. Am I setting myself up for future problems somewhere else, or is this okay to do?

Thanks
TR

Aushion Chatman
10-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been having some trouble with deadlifts in regards to soreness in the lower back on day 2. Not a stunning laid up in bed pain, but more of a soreness that I notice that wasn't there prior to deadlifts. I do have 2 slighlty herniated discs due to wrestling injuries, so want to be cautious. I feel my biggest problem is setting up on them. Each time I set up I feel the bar is just a bit too low for me to get in proper deadlift position and I have to sacrifice positioning to reach the bar. I'm short (5'5") and not flexible, so this may be a reason for my trouble in getting into the position.

What I did today on my deadlifts was 1. drop the weight a lot and increase the reps, and 2. I placed a plate flat on the ground under the ends of barbell where the plates are to allow the starting position to be higher off the ground. I did this today and it felt really good. I felt like I was able to get in position without forcing it and I felt good throughout the sets.

I'm wondering what everyone's take is on that modified deadlift starting position of giving a few extra inches off the ground to get in the right position. Am I setting myself up for future problems somewhere else, or is this okay to do?

Thanks
TR

Pulling from blocks is a great way to handle a flexibility deficit.

In addition to attempting to increase your flexibility/mobility issues so you can pull from the ground you can also look into pulling sumo.

Without watching you deadlift it is not possible to say flexibility is your only issue though.

Blair Robert Lowe
10-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Acceptable for someone new or has mobility issues. Sumo is a possible option

Remember that Doctor credo, "Do No Harm."

Michael Kelley
11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I have been offered the recommendation to build upper back strength that improves the "pull the shoulder blades together" part of the position in order to take stress off the low back. I've been using a TRX for that purpose for several months with great success.