PDA

View Full Version : Pull-up bar between trees?

Bradley Roth
09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I am trying to mount a pull up bar between two large trees that are about ten feet apart. I want it to be strong enough for kipping and bar muscle-ups. What would be the best/strongest way to mount the metal bar to the trees? Drilling into the trees is not a problem.

Greg Light
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I am trying to mount a pull up bar between two large trees that are about ten feet apart. I want it to be strong enough for kipping and bar muscle-ups. What would be the best/strongest way to mount the metal bar to the trees? Drilling into the trees is not a problem.

I have a similar setup in my garage where it spans between two doubled up 2x6 rafters that are about 8 feet apart. I used a thick pipe (1.5'' inside diameter) and then used floor flanges to mount to each side and screwed the pipe into each flange and then screwed each flange into the rafters.

I've heard that the floor flanges can fail and crack, but I've had the setup going for almost a year and kip on it all the time at 220lbs.

The more secure way would be for the pipe to go all the way through and then have the flange on the other side, but thats probably not possible with a tree....

Mauricio Leal
09-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Dan Bailey does pull-ups literally on a 2x6 nailed between two trees. Don't know about muscle-ups lol. The problem with mounting between trees is that if the trees have significant angle/lean, then mounting sideways between them is problematic.

If the difference in tree tilt angles is not too great, you might try attaching a length of 2x6 (at least 4' of 2x6 screwed directly into the tree with some beefy screws in 5+ places) vertically such that the 2x edges face one another (the 6" sides both face towards you), then attaching a 1" No. 50 Wall Mount Flange (http://www.hollaender.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewpage&page_id=EC24FDAE-CC9C-BA86-D8D542E83A8C403F) (wfs) to each member. Make sure your 1" pipe length is already measured and attached to the flanges before you mount the flanges to the wood. The cool part about this is that the wall mount flanges can actually be set at slightly different angles and this could technically still work.