PDA

View Full Version : Inov-8's Ripping after 2 weeks?

Chase Grinley
06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got a pair of Inov-8 F-Lite 230s about a week 1/2 ago. I've been wearing them everyday to break them in and adjust to the minimalist shoe and love them!

However, I've barely run in them (800m warm-up twice) and they are starting to rip on the inside on the back of the heel. This has happened a few times in the past with different shoes I've owned. I didn't happen with my nanos in 6 months.

I've been looking around the internet and the forums for advice. I always untie the shoe completely when putting them on and off. Have them comfortably tightly laced? I'm just wondering what I can do to prevent it from getting worse? I purchased a set of heel liner (Dr. Scholls) but they're thick compared to the thin material the shoe is made of and worried it may take away from the minimalist shoe or change the fit of the shoe. Suggestions?

I don't want to have to buy another pair in a month or two since I've heard the shoes in general are very durable.

Mike Hollister
06-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Innov8s look cool but they are not very durable. My 195s did not hold up at all.

Not a quality shoe IMO.

Braulio Garcia
06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Id try to get them warrantied out. Seems to me that broken after 2 weeks is a defective product. Nice to know the Nanos hold up. Im waiting for my 2.0's to come in.

Joe Morden
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got a pair of Inov-8 F-Lite 230s about a week 1/2 ago. I've been wearing them everyday to break them in and adjust to the minimalist shoe and love them!

However, I've barely run in them (800m warm-up twice) and they are starting to rip on the inside on the back of the heel. This has happened a few times in the past with different shoes I've owned. I didn't happen with my nanos in 6 months.

I've been looking around the internet and the forums for advice. I always untie the shoe completely when putting them on and off. Have them comfortably tightly laced? I'm just wondering what I can do to prevent it from getting worse? I purchased a set of heel liner (Dr. Scholls) but they're thick compared to the thin material the shoe is made of and worried it may take away from the minimalist shoe or change the fit of the shoe. Suggestions?

I don't want to have to buy another pair in a month or two since I've heard the shoes in general are very durable.

I had a pair of 195's that the entire side blew out on, while jogging. The store I bought them from refunded me the money, but i was still disappointed. I did really like the shoe. Wont buy them again though.

David Wisniewski
06-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Did you contact Inov-8 or the store you bought them from? Why the need to come here first before attempting to resolve the issue with the manufacture or retailer?

Justin M. Smith
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
I love minuend have had no issues and train in them 5 days a week. Ni would contact the seller or Inov8 and see if they can help like the others suggested . Good luck

Chase Grinley
06-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm planning to return them to the store for a replacement pair. Just wanted to ask around here first to see if it was something that has happened before with others.

Paul Glezer
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I would reach out to Inov-8 as well through their site. They have amazing customer service.

Joey Shishineh
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Innov8s look cool but they are not very durable. My 195s did not hold up at all.

Not a quality shoe IMO.

I have the exact opposite opinion - I've had my 230s for about 1.5yrs and they are holding up great. Now, if you are climbing rope in them, they will probably fall apart pretty quickly...just like any other shoe not designed for this activity.

Rob Brown
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
That problem seems uncharacteristic to me. I have several pairs with a year on them, and have had zero problems.

Spitballing here.. You said your other shoes fail in the same spot, I'm more thinking that it's a technique note more than a shoe note. Are you a heavy heel striker? Have you checked out pose running.

I'd for sure stay away from Dr. Scholls..

Rob Brown
06-25-2012, 05:09 PM

Not a quality shoe IMO.

I have to disagree too. I love my 195's, they are a great all around'ers and especially good for bar Wods.

Ben Norris
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I just received my new pair of Inov-8 230s and I was getting pretty worried till I read the last 3 posts!

Nicholas DaSilva
06-26-2012, 08:54 AM
So, I actually ordered my 3rd pair in the 3rd straight year of having Inov-8's and Im still on pair #2 which are only now just starting to get a little crappy but still a good pair. I love them and they have never fallen apart of me. BTW im a 230 kinda guy.

- Nick :super:

Chase Grinley
06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
That problem seems uncharacteristic to me. I have several pairs with a year on them, and have had zero problems.

Spitballing here.. You said your other shoes fail in the same spot, I'm more thinking that it's a technique note more than a shoe note. Are you a heavy heel striker? Have you checked out pose running.

I'd for sure stay away from Dr. Scholls..

I used to be a heel striker and suffer from major shin splints. I've been running Pose (not perfect yet) for a little over 3 months. I was recommended these shoes by our head trainer. I love the feel of the shoe (except a little tight on the toes compared to Nano 2.0) but minimalist feel is great.

The wearing isn't bad yet and I'll try and post a picture tonight or tomorrow. I just wanted to find out if there was a way of covering the area for extra protection like duct tape or something like that rather than returning them. But it seems like a replacement pair is the way to go, I'm just worried about it happening to the next pair.

Morgan Gossman
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I ordered a pair of Innov8 230's from running warehouse while I was deployed in February and had them shipped to my house in the states. After getting home in March and wearing them for about 2 weeks the left toe started to come off. I called running warehouse and they sent me a new pair immediately. About 2 weeks after getting the second pair the right toe began coming undone, it's only the very edge of it and hasnt pulled off any more sense. I do love the shoe, but with it held up a bit better.

Nicholas DaSilva
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I ordered a pair of Innov8 230's from running warehouse while I was deployed in February and had them shipped to my house in the states. After getting home in March and wearing them for about 2 weeks the left toe started to come off. I called running warehouse and they sent me a new pair immediately. About 2 weeks after getting the second pair the right toe began coming undone, it's only the very edge of it and hasnt pulled off any more sense. I do love the shoe, but with it held up a bit better.

Odd...I can sincerely say I have had absolutely no issues with any of mine. My 2nd pair are only now starting to get a bit ratty and i've had them over a year. Could just be a batch quality issue. I dunno. :shrug:

Morgan Gossman
06-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Odd...I can sincerely say I have had absolutely no issues with any of mine. My 2nd pair are only now starting to get a bit ratty and i've had them over a year. Could just be a batch quality issue. I dunno. :shrug:

It could be. Like I said, I love the shoes and it doesn't look like they will keep tearing just something I noticed.

Thomas Robert
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello All! My name is Tom and I am an Account Manager at inov-8. In my time here I have seen such a wide array of shoes that I have become quite good at determining the difference between defective and a shoe worn way past its prime. We as a company understand the rigor and abuse that a CrossFit workout entails, and we have made it our goal to create footwear that will remain minimalistic and durable.

The F Lite series has always been prone to the notorious rope climb in which the burning sensation from either descending or ascending destroys the mid-sole of the shoe. We have enhanced the technology of our shoes (starting with the F Lite 240 in the AW 12 line) to strengthen the durability of the midsole for crossfitter's who utilize the rope climb. We understand that this is a common occurrence with our shoes; however plain and simple, our shoes cannot withstand the burning of the rope.

Also, the F Lite series is more of a narrow shoe, so consumers with a wider foot may experience some tearing in the mesh due to the previously stated resiliency of a crossfit workout. I strongly recommend that these consumers consider using any of our shoes from the Road X series or Bare X series. These are built on a wider last and are just as lightweight (if not more so) than our F Lite's.

We take great pride in the quality of our shoes and there is a strict standard that we make sure they all meet. We are more than happy to work with any unsatisfied consumers to deem what the issue may be. Please feel free to contact us at (508) 480-8856 and we can explore either new options for you or discuss any current issues you may be experiencing.

Thomas Robert
06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Come July, please be on the look out for our brand new product called the Bare XF 260! It is a zero drop shoe with a Rope-Tec grip that provides ample support and 360 degree durability for rope climbing. It contains an interlocked velcro strap system made of durable rubber that is designed to withstand the abuse from all rope climbs.

Also, come January 2013, we will be adding rope protection technology to 99% of our fitness footwear. This technology can start to be seen in the F Lite 240 which is being released in just a few weeks. The technology is based around reinforced medial and lateral sections of the shoe.

Rob Brown
06-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow cool of you to post Tom. It's not often the actual manufacturer sounds in with advice here. It's very nice to know you guys are watching.

Braulio Garcia
07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Got my Nano 2.0 in and can honestly say that they are holding up quite well on the rope. They offer excellent grip while climbing. As for now I'm hooked. We will see if they can take the long. I will say that multiple trainers I know swear by the original Nano and have upgraded to the 2.0.

Chase Grinley
07-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Tom thanks for the reply. I love Inov-8s since I have started wearing them a few months ago. I returned the shoes that malfunctioned to the retailer and they were happy to replace them. So far the new pair is holding up well.

I'm looking forward to the new Bare XF 260's, I'm very interested in testing them out since our box will be selling Inov-8's. I'm glad to see the rope technology being put into a minimalist shoe for once to compete with my Nano's.