PDA

View Full Version : Carbs before workout on NHE

Roy
12-17-2003, 06:58 AM
The post office sent the NHE book back to where I ordered it from because of my address change situation, but I just told them to keep it and refund me so I could pay a bill.

Anyway, my question that may have been in the book is: I work out first thing in the mornings. I've been eating and apple or an orange with whey protein pre workout and an apple with whey protein post workout, and those are the only carbs I really get, besides the fibrous veggies and fiber from walnuts. Does Faigin suggest this as the time to do so? Pre and post workout? I was thinking maybe only post workout would be better because of the greater insulin sensitivity thing after the overnight "Fast" (sleeping) Any thoughts?

Cheers

Roy

Steve Shafley
12-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Faigin doesn't suggest this. However, I would recommend checking out John Berardi's writing at www.t-mag.com (http://www.t-mag.com) and at www.johnberardi.com (http://www.johnberardi.com)

He makes a very convincing case to replentish carbohydrate stores after training. Note: This takes more discipline than avoiding carbs, because you need to limit yourself to enough carbs (approximately) to replentish glycogen stores after training.

Berardi's stuff is very worthwhile to check out. His latest column in t-mag goes into nutrient timing a bit, and he's written a doctoral thesis on nutrient timing for his Ph.D.

Remember, there are as many "right" ways to eat as there are people. NHE, Protein Power, and the Zone are great starting points, but they are not the only viable, effective options.

Jay Edvardz
12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Roy,

I totally agree with SDS. As he said, Faigin does not advice consuming carbs either before or after a workout. However, if you find that carbs allow you to workout harder and or recover quicker, then by all means eat the fruit. For me, if I eat carbs before a workout it tends to ***** up my workout. Toy with things, you're a smart guy (I can tell by all your solid posts), don't make my mistake and take NHE or any program as the final word on nutrition. The leanest guys I've known have come up with their own dietary regimens via trial/error and experimentation.

-Jay

Roy
12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
You know, its funny. I was expecting to feel less energetic during the metabolic shift, but I felt waaaay more energetic than before and now Im full of twice as much energy than during the shift. I guess carbs never worked well for me. However, I enjoyed carb up last night which was well over 200 grams, and I felt fine the next morning. This morning I skipped the fruit pre workout and had olive oil instead and didnt notice a difference energy or strength wise. Im just gonna have the fruit post workout because I wouldnt feel right without doing without it since my insulin is so sensitive at the time. Plus, Im kinda trying to put on a little more muscle. This NHE stuff is very interesting. The biggest difference I noticed with it so far is energy, but without crossfit, it wouldnt be the extroardinary energy that it is.

Cheers

Roy

Jay Edvardz
12-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Roy,

Same thing happened to me - energy went through the roof.

If you're looking to put on muscle, you may want to opt for the bodybuilder's plan. Basically it is a high fat diet. Each and every day you make a concentrated effort to eat as much fat as possible. Since you love nuts, this would pose no problem for you. As an example, you could add half a cup of nuts to each meal. Anyway, I had excellent results combining Crossfit and NHE both for losing fat and gaining muscle.

Keep us updated on your progress. I am extremely interested to see how NHE works out for you.

-Jay

Roy
12-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Heres a result. I gained three pounds after the carb up night, and I felt the same as before. still do. By the way, How does dietary fat put on muscle? I always thought carbs were for that. And nuts are expensive! This pecanism( addiction) is gonna make me go broke!

Cheers

Roy

Jay Edvardz
12-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Pecanism - Classic! haha

Not really sure how dietary fat aids in muscle growth, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer this one. For me, it was a case of blind faith. I decided to give the program a shot and it was extremely effective for gaining muscle. The muscle gain was not amazing, nor did I gain muscle in the blink of an eye. However, I was able to put on a good deal of muscle (at least as much if not more than with previous see it eat it attempts) and put on very little bodyfat in the process (which was my goal). For me, the results spoke for themselves.

-Jay