PDA

View Full Version : How do you do box jumps?

Mike Doehla
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
After hearing about a lot of achilles injuries I've been stepping down. Is this what most people are doing or are you guys hoping down. I will hop down occasionally on 20" and 24" but never 30"

Eric Montgomery
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't think jumping down is an issue if you're doing reasonable quantities of box jumps, but what's reasonable will vary from person to person. Most of the Achilles injuries I've heard of have been the cumulative result of hundreds and hundreds of bounding box jumps.

Christopher G. Woods
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Eric's right; box jump technique isn't the issue that causes Achilles injuries. The problem is poor programming, and it goes well beyond just box jump volume. Running, double unders and the Olympic lifts all put a great deal of stress on the Achilles, among other movements. Hopefully, no trainer would program box jumps on three consecutive days; however, there are a lot of trainers out there that wouldn't think twice about putting Jerks, 400m sprints and box jumps on three consecutive days.

Oli Kellett
05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZDXc_hLvf4

Have a watch of this video. I also echo what Eric and Chris have said.

Mike Doehla
05-25-2012, 06:52 AM
thanks guys. I learned something today. I box jump maybe twice a week at varying heights so I may be ok to bounce.

Christopher G. Woods
05-25-2012, 07:14 AM
thanks guys. I learned something today. I box jump maybe twice a week at varying heights so I may be ok to bounce.

If you're doing those for max height, that's fine. However, there's no good reason to do box jumps for metcon twice a week. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing box jumps for metcon more than twice a month.

Mike Doehla
05-29-2012, 06:48 PM
If you're doing those for max height, that's fine. However, there's no good reason to do box jumps for metcon twice a week. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing box jumps for metcon more than twice a month.

Why is that? Just not necessary?

Eric Montgomery
05-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Not necessary if you care about long-term Achilles health.

Mike Doehla
05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Not necessary if you care about long-term Achilles health.

Damn I like them too. What do you suggest instead. I love double unders too

Eric Montgomery
05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
You can do them, but doing hundreds of rebounding jumps per week is probably a bad idea. There are plenty of other things you can do for conditioning that are less risky. And doing a lot of low-height box jumps removes the plyometric benefits of box jumps. If you want plyometrics do a handful of reps of max height jumps or depth jumps with rebounds...almost zero risk of overuse injury there.

Mike Doehla
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
You can do them, but doing hundreds of rebounding jumps per week is probably a bad idea. There are plenty of other things you can do for conditioning that are less risky. And doing a lot of low-height box jumps removes the plyometric benefits of box jumps. If you want plyometrics do a handful of reps of max height jumps or depth jumps with rebounds...almost zero risk of overuse injury there.

ok thanks a lot

Fran Rose
06-01-2012, 05:00 PM

So doing box jumps and/or DU pretty much every day is not a good idea?

Eric Montgomery
06-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Not if you like your Achilles tendons, it's not. The problem with an Achilles injury is that there's no warning signs like soreness or inflammation...it just snaps on you.

I'm talking within reason here....there's nothing wrong with working on DU technique for 5 minutes every day or doing a few high box jumps with stepdowns. The problem comes in when someone does 20 minutes of DUs and 100+ bounding box jumps on a regular basis.

Andrew N. Casey
06-02-2012, 09:13 AM
the great thing about box jumps is that if you do them one at a time and step down then they take all the stress / shock of landing out of the jump. you jump up as high as possible but then land before gravity starts to take over. even when landing from a short fall the force is increased many times more than your normal weight. so landing on a box can be great for the joints, and like other eccentric only exercises won't make you sore, while still allowing you to ramp up the nervous system and do some explosive training to increase power. that bad thing about box jumps is when you string them together for high reps while jumping off the box and attempting to rebound quickly back. if a person is an athlete and needs to practice some plyo type rebound movements then that is fine, but even then they shouldn't be done nonstop for high reps at lower power output. here is some good food for thought about jumps. i don't agree with everything 100% in these articles, but still some very good info as an intro and some good food for thought about how to use jumps and what kind to use... the links are a 4 part series...

links WFS, site is not (although thank goodness it has been cleaned up alot in the last few weeks)

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1705

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1707

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1711

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1719