PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from over-training syndrome

Paul Kayley
12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
I am hoping someone may be able to relate to, and advise me on my extremely frustrating current situation. I'm a competitive Triathlete. I over-trained last season, mainly due to big stresses outside the sport causing a lot of nervous tension, on top of Ironman training and trying to loose weight! I ended up having to take the entire summer off to recover, which added to the anxiety but did the trick.

My problem at the moment is that the slightest amount of over-zealousness, or outside stress, and I start to get the old symptoms of over-training very quickly (especially insomnia and a drop off in performance). My tolerance of stress, physical or mental seems to have been seriously reduced. Its like my stress-response has become over-responsive.

I now eat Paleo with dairy. I started on NHE after overtraining in the Spring, but found that I felt better without the carb loads... legs feel less jammed up with lactate.

Could my over-reactive stress response be due to the low carbs/ increased protein metabolism?

Paul Kayley
12-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Rob, As I am on a Paleo diet could it be that my body is producing excess cortisol to stimulate high levels of gluconeogenesis in order to meet my high demands for glucose (although I am fat adapted). In turn this is causing all the associated problems I am experiencing from elevated stress hormones?

I am wondering if partial carbo-reloading (40-50% of session energy demand... so 500Kcal of starch after 1000 Kcal run) after training sessions might help lower cortisol, without causing the lactate jamming in the legs, and without suppressing GH release?

Perhaps neolithic man wasn't designed to run and bike 20 hour per week?

J. D. Hernandez
12-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Could it be calories? Most people make the mistake of not consuming enough calories on Paleo/Paleo type hybrid diets. With that type of workload (running and biking 24 hours a week), your calories need to be way above the maintenance level.

J.D.

Barry Cooper
12-19-2003, 09:28 AM
My personal opinion is that you probably need more carbs. Mark Allen, who may not have been the "World's Fittest Man" (see the free CrossFit Journal, if you haven't read it), but who definitely dominated the Hawaiian Ironman for some time, roughly followed the Zone diet: 40/30/30. My rudimentary understanding--and I could be wrong about this--is that your body really prefers glycogen to fat. It burns fat when it has to.

Bottom line: your teeth won't turn green if you try an experiment and up the carb calories. See what happens.