PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Gregory Spilson
12-13-2003, 02:23 PM
There has been much discussion regarding a modified return to paleolithic type lifestyle (ie diet, barefoot workout, squatting). Is there any good resources as far as the "original" way or best sleeping position? I've heard that on the floor with a neck roll may be best. Any info?

Roy
12-13-2003, 04:30 PM
LMAO. Yes, the paleolithic ancestors were bigger and healthier, but for the most part, I believe the human race has evolved SMARTER. Sure, the major population's diet today is not as optimal as it should be(i.e. paleo) but we CAN get from point A to point B more safely (plains, trains, and automobiles) without as big of a risk of freezing to death or being eaten by a large animal. We know how much of this and that we should get for optimal health(protein, fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals, coffee or no coffee, etc.) We have invented cool things such as Olympic barbells, kettlebells, trampolines, parallettes, rings, heavy bags etc. I could go on and on.

Therefore, in my honest opinion, I think its a good idea to workout in good shoes, squat with your best balance and form, and sleep on your back, your side, or whatever is the most comfortable without waking up sore in the morning. More importantly, consider your spinal health when sleeping. 8-10 hours is good too ;)

Cheers

Roy

Robert Wolf
12-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Roy-
We generally have no idea what to eat, we should train barefoot, and rapid point to point travel has some serious health consequences both on an individual and larger population based basis.

For decades it was assumed that the illiocecal valve (which prevents feces from back sliding from the cecum to the illium) did not work properly. That is untill someone decide to study the valve while suatting and defacating....suddenly things worked fine. We seldom sat on porcelan in the paleolithic.

It also appears that brain size has DECREASED since the advent of agriculture. Bad food and lack of stimulus makes you loose your edge apparently.
Robb

Roy
12-13-2003, 10:36 PM
LMAO again! Oh......squatting!!! I didnt know what he meant exactly by squatting. I thought he meant the exercise. lol My brain size may be decreased in that respect. j/k

From my guess, even though our bodies arent as strong this day an age, I dont think switching to sleeping on normal ground would be the best idea after sleeping in a bed your whole life, but then again, it is just a guess. Would age have something to do with it? Im know my parents wouldnt switch to it since their in their mid fifties. I always pondered how much easier and more interesting life would be just sleeping on an exercise mat with a neck pillow. Not to mention, "Squatting" in your back yard everyday regardless of weather.:rofl: Diet is a good starter anyway

Cheers

Roy

Nick Martinez
12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
hmmmmmm.
I haven't been around the message board for a while, so forgive me if I am repeating a previously asked question. Why train barefoot?
what are the benefits? If they are significant I might try it during one of my home workouts. Also regardind sleeping on the floor-It sounds great but I notice that even my dog, if given the choice, would rather lounge on the couch rather than the floor. :-)

Dale S. Jansen
12-21-2003, 05:51 AM
people worry about sleep too much. i go sleep "deprived" frequently due to the nature of my profession. some mornings am half asleep for first 5/10 mns of workout. just start a little more slowly, get the blood moving, et voila! good to go. take a 1 hr nap in the afternoon and go to bed early on my 'tween day. plenty of time to sleep when you die. dale.