PDA

View Full Version : Intense hunger....

Jay Edvardz
11-15-2003, 09:34 PM
For quite a while now I have been following NHE. As of the past 3-4 days I have been extremely hungry. More so than in a long time. I have been obliged to satisfy the hunger within the restraints of the NHE eating plan. To me, this means eating more nuts, nuts butters, etc. Could this be a result of being about a month in from first starting the WODs. I am actually using NHE and Crossfit to drop some fat, however, it seems that my body needs the fuel and I feel as though it would be wrong to deprive the hunger. This plan controls insulin big time so I know this is real hunger and not just hormonal hunger. Hell, my stomach has been growling like a lion so I know it's now in my head. I have also been upping my activity outside of the WODs. Any thoughts and or advice?

Jay Edvardz
11-15-2003, 10:04 PM
On a sidenote: Despite the fact that I have increased my calories (especially those from fat: I.E., almonds butter, walnuts, etc.) a fairly substantial amount, I actually look leaner. And I, of course, feel a lot better as well.

Barry Cooper
11-16-2003, 08:21 AM
If you're hungry, eat. That's my philosophy.

Scott Parker
11-16-2003, 09:17 AM
jay-

i posted a similar response about i year ago i guess, when i started the WOD. i was experiencing exacty what you are, and since i just started hitting the gym after about a 2 month "vacation" due to school and work i am felling it again.

my brother has started crossfit as well, and he actually commented on feeling the same way while we were walking to the gym yesterday.

when you actually think about it, it makes sense. you are subjecting you body to tremedous amounts of stress during the WOD; probably something you have never come close to doing - at least on a daily basis! your body needs to repair and recover, and your metabolism will go up as well, all requiring you to take in more fuel.

what i did was keep my protein intake the same (a gram per lb. of bodyweight), and just started eating nuts like you are doing between meals and when you get that feeling.

hope this helps! have fun!

scott

Jay Edvardz
11-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Scott, that's pretty much what I figured. The Neuroendocrine response generated by crossfit is something I have probably never experienced before. Funny thing is, the only other time I have ever been hungry like this was when I did a short cycle of Roids. All hail crossfit! :-)

-Jay