PDA

View Full Version : Gumbo/Okra?

Alexander Karatis
11-03-2003, 07:07 AM
I ate this traditional plate we have here last night, and although I was sure it was a vegetable Iīm now having second thoughts. You see I translated the Greek word and the dictionary gave me Ocra and Gumbo as the english term.

I put that into fitday.comīs nutrient calculator and saw it had some 30% protein in it. Now thatīs usually something I associate with legumes, so what it is? A legume or a vegetable? And are there even any vegetables with considerable amounts of protein?

Thanks in advance guys!

Robert Wolf
11-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Alexander-

If it is truly ocra I do not believe it is a legume. Ocra does have quite a number of seeds and this could account for the protein content.

Robb

Jay Edvardz
11-03-2003, 02:20 PM
After checking a couple different sources I am going to have to agree with Rob on this one. It would seem Ocra is a vegetable.

Kevin Roddy
11-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Ewww, Ocra is the most gross thing I've ever eaten.

David Wood
11-03-2003, 07:47 PM
It's usually spelled "okra" here in the States, and it figures prominently in a lot of "southern cuisine" cooking.

Like Kevin, I gotta believe it's darn near the grossest thing I've ever eaten . . . it gets a sort of slimy texture, which is kind of hard to imagine in a vegetable.

I've had people swear that it *can* be good, that I just don't know how to cook it. I've had enough for my lifetime, however.

Dave

Patrick Johnston
11-03-2003, 07:50 PM
That stuff requires frying. But then again, I believe that there are few foods that are not most delicious fried.

Robert Wolf
11-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Patrick is right...everything is better fried. The key for okra is breading, bacon grease, and a very hot cast iron skillet. My grandmother was from the south and her version of okra was delicious....sigh!
Robb