PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Dissonance: Sears and Soy

Lynne Pitts
10-28-2003, 05:55 AM
It seems that Dr. Sears is well regarded here, and in particular his research into the fish oil as well as the Zone approach, which I've tinkered with and think makes sense.
As I'm munching my Zone Bar yesterday, I'm reading about the evils of soy. Main protein in ZB's: Soy. Yikes! Conflict? It's a minefield, so how do we know Sears is ok on oil if he's all wet on soy?
thanks,

Kevin Roddy
10-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Frankly, I'm not too quick to trust the Zone bars anyways - they consist of a lot of sub-par ingredients regardless.

You would have to ask Rob about the oil issue... he seems to be the expert on it anyways ^__^

Barry Cooper
10-28-2003, 08:21 AM
There are differing opinions on soy. I personally look at the demographics: there are a lot of people who eat a lot of soy and seem to thrive on it.

Theoretically, there are, I'm told--anti-nutrients in soy that make it potentially bad for you. Additionally, since it is an agricultural product, and consequently was presumably introduced quite late in human evolution, i.e. within the last 5-10,000 years, then we can infer within the Paleo Diet paradigm that Nature (more precisely our evolutionary heritage) does not want us to eat it.

I think you can go either or both ways without excessive worry. My personal problem with Zone Bars--and I eat them too--is that they don't fill me up. I'm hungry again two minutes later. They don't seem to be "real food", whatever that is. I like Barry Sears, and am a big proponent of the Zone diet, but use the Zone Bars only when real food isn't available.

Lynne Pitts
10-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Barry,
Funny, I have the same problem with the Zone Bars - they just don't kill the hunger. Other than the soy, they seemed like a "better bad choice" for a balanced between-meal snack. Guess I'll go find another bar. Kevin, after looking more closely at the ingredients, I have to admit that for a Sears-endorsed product, the ingredients don't look too great. Any paleo-bars out there?

Robert Wolf
10-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Lynn-

I'm in the process of making a paleo bar...nothing like it on the market!

Barrys analysis of soy is right on. I prefer to get protein sources from other places as the soy does not seem to set well with me. If one has an autoimmune disease I would be wary of many of the neolithic foods.

I'd have to say don't throw the baby out with the bath water regarding Dr. Sears.
Robb

Lynne Pitts
10-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Robb,
Thanks - keep us posted on the paleo bar (as long as it isn't haggis on a stick LOL) Hmm, does the oats make haggis non-paleo?
Lynne

Lincoln Brigham
10-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Most soy products in the U.S. seem to be highly processed. I'm very leary of highly processed foods.