PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

Scott Kustes
10-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Very simple question here. Why do many of you eat alot of eggs, but remove the yolks? What is in the yolk that you don't want? Along with that, what do eggs possess (other than protein) that warrants consuming so many of them? What about the cholesterol...is that really even a worry? Ok, so it was more than 1 question. :happy:

Thanks
Scott

Robert Wolf
10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Scott-

the Cholestrol is NOT a problem. the high levels of arachidonic acid (n-6) is a problem. Get the omega 3 enriched eggs and that problem is solved.

I dont throw the yolks away and I eat eggs mainly because they taste good!
Robb

Alexander Karatis
10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Are you kidding?!!!

Ok here we go...

1. They taste good
2. They're fun to peel
3. It's nice to get something warm in your stomach in the morning

Yolks contain a lot of fat, so if you're really streching it calorie-wise on your breakfast-as I am, but still want plenty of protein, the solution is to cut out a few yolks...I don't worry about the cholesterol.

To let you know how I feel about eggs, I ate 2 kilos of roebuck last night. 30 mins later I was thinking about next morning's breakfast (eggs!!!)

Scott Kustes
10-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Cholesterol...I managed to clear up a few myths yesterday. I did some searching and found out a bit more about how it works. Obviously I knew there was "good" and "bad", but I didn't know the blood cholesterol is produced by the liver and that food cholesterol doesn't necessarily turn into blood cholesterol and all kinds of other fun stuff. It's amazing what Google, the Atkins site, the Zone site, and just random other sites can tell you. Time to add some Omega 3 eggs to the diet.

Brad Hirakawa
10-24-2003, 09:48 AM
I know my evidence is based on one person (myself), but I eat eggs (and yolks) like a crazy mad egg eater, and my blood lipid profile is excellent.

Scott Parker
10-24-2003, 02:01 PM
same here.

scott

Kevin Roddy
10-26-2003, 10:52 AM
I've heard that when you combine the egg yolk with egg whites, the iron in the whites oxidizes the cholesterol in the yolks, creating a health hazard. Is this true? If so, should I just start hard or soft boiling my eggs?

Robert Wolf
10-27-2003, 06:41 PM
kevin-

Soft boiling is perhaps the best deal for minimizing oxidized cholesterol. I do not believe this is due to iron in the whites but rather exposure of the yolk to the cooking environment.
Robb

Coach
10-29-2003, 03:58 AM
Robb,

I've found eggs from flax fed chickens. Are there any LC n-3/EPA-DHA enriched eggs?

How much of the "enriching" ends up being ALA?

Is an ALA, AA enriched egg an improvement?

I know chickens will eat fish, they are super aggressive meat eaters. Seriously! Throw a cricket in the midst of a bunch on corn pecking chickens and stand back!

Coach