PDA

View Full Version : Robert Wolf - Question

Jay Edvardz
09-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Rob,

I am going to embark upon the NHE Bodybuilders Plan. I am currently waiting for my friend to send the book back to me. In the meantime, I want to get started on the Metabolic Shift. What exactly were the ground-rules again? I believe it was under 20 grams of carbs a day for a week before beginning the cycle. The 20 grams should come from veggie sources. Also, I believe I read you should eat a lot of fat during this time to facilitate the change over to a fat burner? Thanks for the help.

-Jay

Robert Wolf
09-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Jay-

That is it! Keep protein to 20-50g/meal and try to get 4-6 meals/day.
Robb

Jay Edvardz
09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Rob - One more question. Is cheese allowed during the metabolic shift - would you advise against it? I figured it would be an easy way to get a good amount of fat and protein in without having to cook ;) Anyway, all your help up to this point is greatly appreciated!

-Jay

Robert Wolf
09-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Jay-
Cheese is great!
Robb

Jay Edvardz
09-23-2003, 07:44 PM
That's how I feel! I found this great white cheddar at Costco. It's made from raw milk. Oh, it's divine *drools* :-) Thanks again, Rob.

-Jay

Jay Edvardz
09-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Rob - Started my first day of the shift today. Already have a lot of energy. I ate 2 cans of tuna. A crapload of olive and macadamia nut oil (more monounsaturates than olive oil). A very good amount of cheese and a big steak. Sounds like a solid Metabolic Shift day, doesnt it? Do you think I should add in some broccoli tomorrow?
(Also - I found a great 2 year aged cheddar cheese at costco - It's raw milk! Great flavor)
-Jay

Jon Pappas
09-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Jay,

How do I eat/drink the olive oil and macadamia nut oil? Do you put in/on something first?

Jon

Jay Edvardz
09-24-2003, 08:19 AM
I will just take a swig of the macadami nut oil - it's that good! As far as the olive oil goes, I have just drank it straight, however I have spanish olive oil, so it is a bit tart on the throat. I usually put it on something like tuna. Or mince of steak/chicken/hardboiled eggs and use it as a topping. I am only going to be using this much oil for the duration of the metabolic shift. After that I will be going back to things like actual macadami nuts and walnuts. However, I will still add tons of oil to food. Lastly, it is suggested that you get your carbs on the plan from veggies such as broccoli during the metabolic shift. You can use a ton of olive oil as a topping on either broccoli, or a green salad. Hope this help. Lastly - Not sure how you feel about cheese - but it is another great source of fat - Coconut oil too! The taste is so great you can eat it by the spoon, however it is a tad bit expensive. Anyway, best of luck to you John!

=Jay

Mike Minium
09-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Robb,

Cordain writes that "dairy products maintain low glycemic indices and loads, but paradoxically these foods are highly insulinotrophic with insulin indices similar to white bread." (Source: The Nutritional Characteristics of a Contemporary Diet Based Upon Paleolithic Food Groups)

Wouldn't this suggest that cheese is far from optimal as a protein and fat source, particularly if insulin/hormonal regulation is the goal?

Thanks,

Mike

Scott Parker
09-24-2003, 12:56 PM
yeah, i thought chesse wasn't paleo?!

Robert Wolf
09-24-2003, 02:10 PM
uhhh...lets see here....there is a LARGE dairy farmer who has threatened to unleash atack trained Holstein cows if I bash dairy! So, read your rescources and make informed decisions.
Robb

Jay Edvardz
09-24-2003, 02:14 PM
As far as cheese and insulin control. The anabolic diet is based largely off meat and cheese consumption. People regularly get "ripped" on this diet before contests. Furthermore, many, many, many, low carb diets utilize heavy cream as fat staple. I will watch my weight and bodyfat. If things get out of hand I will change it up. However, I highly doubt this. Many studies have been done proving full fat dairy to aid and not hinder fat loss. Some people speculate CLA, Others - The calcium content, and Dr. Pasquale believes it could simply be the high fat content. Have to do what's right for you. As of right now, I do not have time or desire to cook 6+ meals a day. Therefore, cheese is my meal replacement savior! :-)

-Jay