PDA

View Full Version : Robb, your thoughts on Mercola?

David Heyer
08-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Robb,
What are your thoughts on Dr. Mercola and his website? www.mercola.com (http://www.mercola.com)
Thanks,
Dave

Robert Wolf
08-25-2003, 02:55 PM
In general i like Mercola's site and philosophy. Just hearing a doctor say "No Grains..." is a pretty big deal. He seems to take a pretty paleo approach to medicine and makes pretty good overall lifestyle recomendations. He will not get you to elite fitness....but that is what Coach is for!
Robb

David Heyer
08-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Robb,
I figure you are about the most informed person I am aware of on related information so I have to ask.
Dr. Mercola seems very controversial and anti-AMA/ADA etc. Check out this article: http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/30/doctors_death.htm
For instance, he is against immunizations http://www.mercola.com/2003/jan/15/vaccine_benefits.htm and floride treatment for water supplies. http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/29/fluoride_cavities.htm Do you agree with his thinking?
Thanks,
Dave

Robert Wolf
08-25-2003, 05:24 PM
Yeesh! Ok, on doctors....unless one has acute trauma, IMO conventional medicine is not much of an answer. Are there exceptions? Yes, of course but PROPERLY prescribed drugs kill 40,000 americas every year (this was in the jul 199 JAMA if I recall correctly). Cardiac bypass surgery is a money maker...not a life saver. An analysis of survivability and health of those who undergo this Tx vs those who do not is nothing short of freightening. In 30 years average cancer survivability has in creased 3 MONTHS! With the lions share of the increase being attributable to better immaging and diagnostics (This from a meta analysis of the 30 most common cancer treatments of over the past 30 years).

Way back when antibiotics worked a miracle and so enamored medicine it was decided ALL pathology could be treated in the same way. It can't.

Immunizations-

Immunizations are not typically designed to stimulate all aspects of the immune response. Immunizations typically occur in "batches" in which several diseases are being covered at once. There is the potential for "confusion" within the immune system and some autoimmune conditions have some pretty strong linkage with immunizations...but this does not prove causation.

The US is notorious for producing and distrubiting immunization materials which are of low quality or contaminated (as compared to say Europe).

When you get right down to it there IS a very real risk in immunizing a child. It may only be 1/million but when your child is the affected individual...well... In situations in which sound sanitation and hygene are in place I think this plays a much greater role in reducing these diseases with no potential side effects.

Flouride- I am not very familure with the topic. I know halogenated hydrocarbons are BAD ( chlorine, flourine, bromine etc. attached to organic molecules) Brad could likely shed better lite on this than I can. For me it becomes a moot point because if you do not eat neolithic foods (specificly grains and sugar) you DONT get tooth decay.

Do I buy into these fringe ideas 100% NO. But I think the potential for debate and further investigation is important.

These are potentially some very explosive topics...I have to admit some reluctance in even posting an opinnion about them but here it is, I hope it is helpful.
Robb

Brad Hirakawa
08-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Right on Robb.
Flouride in drinking water... man, that reminds me of Demming's ideas on the downfalls of "retroactive management." That is, we'd be better off using the money to educate our children on the hazards of refined sugars. I bet we'd see a larger decline in dental problems, than we do when we dump flouride in our water. Will this happen? I doubt it. We are talking about a society that puts calcium in white bread.

Robert Wolf
08-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Brad-

The irony of our dietary recomendations is pretty painful. Even "whole grains" are antinutrients in that they typically remove more nutrients in their metabolism than they provide thus they are fortified. Thanks for double checking my toxicology!
Robb

David Heyer
08-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Robb/Brad,
Thanks for your expertise.
Dave