PDA

View Full Version : Warm Cereal / Glycemic release

Keiko
04-15-2003, 02:29 PM
I was recently picking up some oatmeal, and saw a new warm cereal product. It had wheat, rye, and barley - all the contents were ( calories, carbs, sugar, fat were lower than oatmeal and the insoluble fiber was higher. ) this might seem dumb but is this an automatic better choice than slow cooked oatmeal ? ( is the glycemic release the same ? )

Robert Wolf
04-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Keiko-

This is perhaps a slightly better choice but the glycemic load of products like this are absolutely huge. Two large oranges have a total of about 45-50g of carbs and a very low glycemic load (glycemic index x 10g serving. A similar amount of carbs in total of this cereal will yeild a huge glycemic load with a very small amount of nutrients in return. Also be very clear about what the serving size comparisons are...ie are you looking at 1/4 cup of one yeliding 50g of cereal and 1/4 cup of another yeailding 30g of cereal?
I hope this helps!
Robb

Keiko
04-15-2003, 04:47 PM
it was a 1/2 cup on both. i forgot to mention this was old fasioned slow cooking oatmeal, not instant. so if i were to select this as my oatmeal meal when it was allowed, the latter ( warm cereal would be ok ? ) also along the same lines, What about bread ? if i were jonesing for some bread...biscuits etc...what would be the best choice ? i saw slices where the carb was 9 per slice, but what am i missing ? is it the sugar or starch.

sean hernandez mccumiskey
04-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi Keiko,

i think the deal with carbs/cereal grains are, the more processed they are the higher the glycemic index becomes. some one please correct me if im wrong. saying that, i suggest, if need be, you find a "hole" grain bread. Whether it is wheat, spelt, rye whatever make sure it is whole grain. look in a organic food store and ask them if the grain has been sifted after it was ground, if not then its good to go.

if you must eat some bread to apease the jonesing then i think this is ok

Robert compared the orange and bread there glycemic index's and the nutrients you recieve.
he stated, with bread, you get high glycemic and low nutrients; which i also agree with. if you eat the whole grain bread you will acually get that little bit of nutrients. as with white bread or wheat bread (not full grain), i think these are what some might call anti-nutrients. and they have added chemical softners in them whicht cant be good.

i hope this helps sean