PDA

View Full Version : Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)...

Scott Parker
03-07-2003, 04:26 PM
does anyone have any info./experience on Textured Vegetable Protein?

I am asking this question because i am planning a 500 mile thru-hike this summer and weight is a very serious issue and TVP seems like a lightweight source of protein.

also, should i still shoot for the same ratio of protein/fat/carbs while i'm on the trail for a month as i do now, or should i change the ratio since i will be hiking approx. 25 miles a day?

also, what do you think my daily caloric intake should be in this situation? how does caloric restriction play into this if at all?

thanks!

scott

p.s.- today was the 2nd day back in the gym after having the flu for 2 weeks (kettle bell swings and pull-ups). it hurts, it hurts!

Robert Wolf
03-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Scott- gram/calorie having more fat is the way to go. Things like coconut oil and pemican pack well if the temp is not too high.

25 m/day is moving! I would keep the calories high...at or above what you are doing when trying to gain muscle. Takea multivit once in a while.
Robb
Robb

Scott Parker
03-12-2003, 08:56 AM
thanks robb! things are changing now and i may not have the chance to do this hike this year after all. i hiked 250 miles of the trail last year with an average of 20-25 miles a day. if the hike dosen't happen i'm looking at climbing the diamond on long's peak in rocky mountian national park, colorado!

scott

Mark Cain
03-13-2003, 04:53 AM
scott,
there is a 'gas' issue with TVP so for the sake of the other people in your group, you should walk at the end of the line......

Scott Parker
03-13-2003, 07:12 AM
i would be solo o the hike, but thanks for the warning!

scott