PDA

View Full Version : Paleo newbie

Edward D. Friedman
01-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Fellow Crossfitters:

I've been "paleo-ing" for a few weeks. I am 5'11, approx 180 lbs and ( according to a Tanita scale,) approx 12-14% b.f.

I love that I'm eating "clean". No sugar ( I do use stevia at times. Although not mentioned in anything Paleo that I've read, as it is from an herb, I assume it's fine.) no grains, legumes, or dairy, nothing processed or refined.

I have never really been much of a meat eater, (having done the "vegetarian except for fish" thing for years.) I've been having poultry and a rare red meat meal in addition to meat. I've always been big into veggies and now I'm letting myself induldge heavilly into fruit. I eat loads of almonds, with pecans and walnuts from time to time. ( I also use a good amount of almond butter.)

My issue is that, I've lost only about a 1.5 lbs, so my weight and b.f. % are really staying level. I am mostly fine eating this way except I find it somewhat difficult to constantly emphasize meat ( and I sometimes wish I could eat something with a crunchy texture, like a cracker.)

My goal (besides being CrossFit :], being healthy and attaining longevity, ) is to get to approx 8-9% b.f., and to eliminate the "belly jelly" that I've carried for most of my 43 years, despite having been athletic for most of that time, and to firm up that area.

Any diet tweaking suggestions ?

Thank you.

Eddie

Robert Wolf
01-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Eddie- a few questions 1) Are you attacking the WOD with some pretty serious gusto? It is the neuroendocrine response from the work outs which really start shifting body composition. 2) are you sleeping at least 9 hrs in a totally dark room? I mean pitch black! 3) are you getting 4-6 small meals/day? 4) Are you getting at least a gram of protein/lb LBW? 5)do you feel woozy after eating your carbs like fruit?

Before making any suggestions I'll wait to see where you are at on these questions.
talk to you soon
Robb

Edward D. Friedman
01-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Robb:

Thanks for your reply. I stand with my head bowed. Your questions alone point me in the right direction.

1.) No, I've been "working into" CrossFit WODs.
2.) No, 2.5 year old twin sons; Ergo, interupted, and inadequate sleep. I do use nightshades though (brand name "Buckys" I think,) which I love.
3.) Yes, sort of, more like 3 main meals with 2-3 snacks.
4.) Hmmm, I doubt it. I don't really make the effort to calculate. Plus, if I'm short on protein intake per lb/bw, under paleo would shakes be verbotten? does that mean just eat more meat, nuts or eggs ?
5.) Fortunately, I don't feel woozy after fruit. (I also eat many assorted frozen organic berries, Cascadian Farms, yum ! )

I will try to incorporate the suggestions implied by your questions over the next several weeks.

I guess I was hoping that I'd get some of the fat loss changes I was looking for through the Paleo Diet alone. That's what I was thinking when I posted initially. Guess I'll have to work in the CrossFit neuroendicrine aspects. BTW, is the "9 Hours DARK, from "Lights Out"?

Robb, thanks so much for the feedback.

Eddie

Robert Wolf
01-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey Eddie!

Yes, the dark recomendation is from Lights Out...really incredible book.

Get your protein in by hook or by crook. I am not a fan of shakes but I do not personally tolerate dairy (long story...not lactose related). If you choose a shake CHEW it! This will stimulate the vagal nerve and release near normal levels of digestive enzymes. You get the goodies, not yoour intestinal flora.
This is such an integrated thing: th e intense workouts produce a neuroendocrine response which leads to body comp changes particularly when supproted by nutrition which allows for growth, repair, and an optimized hormonal environment. Sleep and lifestyle are the final peices to all of this.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
robb

Janet Fisher
02-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Anyone experiencing the Stewpid Effect immediately after starting the Paleo diet? (Ie, I can't concentrate and I make stupid decisions at work, or forget little things I normally wouldn't).
I'm getting enough greens (and overall carbs, like about 100g), but maybe spinach would help?

Robert Wolf
02-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Janet- This is often a sign of mild/moderate insulin resistance. Life will be painfull and slow for a few days but it should improve soon (3-5 days) Make sure to have protein at EVERY meal, dont be afraid of modest amounts of fat from olive oil, walnuts, avacados. Soon you will be clear headed and burly!
Robb

Patrick Johnston
02-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Robert:

What is the story on the "Lights Out"?

Robert Wolf
02-06-2003, 05:49 PM
The authors (one a PHD in biochysics and biochemistry, the other a PHD in medical anthropology) look at evolutionary biology and argue for a low carb diet (most of the year) and 9 + hrs of sleep (again most of the year) to stave off heart disease, cancer, dibetes, depression...etc. IMO it is an absolutely incredible book. Dan John talks about a sleep experiment he does and the fat loss/performance improvement. You should be able to find it at a used book store by this point and it is in soft back. GET IT!
Robb

Patrick Johnston
02-06-2003, 06:24 PM
What are the author's names?

Robert Wolf
02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
TS wiley and bent forby...I think.

Chris Longley
02-14-2003, 05:36 AM
I read an exerpt from "lights out" on amazon yesterday and it sounded like they were saying that exercise was bad for you due to your body thinking its fighting for its life - stress etc. If you've read the book or know what i'm on about could you comment?

Cheers

Chris

Robert Wolf
02-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Chris- my take on this is that americans seem to fall into two camps: exercisers and non exercisers. The exerciseres are by and large endurance athletes who in the view of lightsout, crossfit, and evolutionaryfitness (to name a few) impose a chronic non-adaptive stressor to the body ie. they do too much of the same stuff. The lightss out prescription regarding exercise is to lift weights, stretch a lot, and do sprinting and running about once or twice per week. I think the crossfit model is pretty damn close to this. they also make the point that training in the evening under artificial lights in the dead of winter can and wil do bad thigs to our physiology....it makes some sense and they have some pretty good science to back it up.
I hope that helps!
Robb

Chris Longley
02-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Cheers Robb,
That great. Like I said - I only had an exerpt to read and was hoping you'd be able to fill me in on what I was missing. Good to hear i'm on the right track.

Chris