PDA

View Full Version : Food Dehydrators...

Scott Parker
02-22-2003, 01:11 AM
i recently purchased a food dehydrator because i do a lot of hiking/alpine climbing where you're in the back country for several days at a time, and every ounce of weight in your pack is counted and considered, so i often turn to pre-packaged dehydrated meals. unfortunately these are loaded with all kinds of crap like preservatives, sugar, and sodium, so i decided to see if i could actually make my own.

my question is does dehydrating food alter it's nutritional value?

i'm also asking this question because i am tenatively planning a thru hike of the colorado trail this summer (480 miles) and plan on making my own meals for that as well. i hiked half of it last year solo with an 11 lb. pack, but want to do the whole thing this year and want my pack to be as light as possible (trying to go for under 10 lbs!).

any info. would be appreciated!

scott

Robert Wolf
02-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Scott- check out www.paleodit.com (http://www.paleodit.com) Scroll down the page to "dehydrators". If I remember correctly there is a link comparing the nutritional value of fresh vs dried food. Just pack a simple multivite (iron free for men and post-menopausal women) and you should be set!
Robb

Scott Parker
02-22-2003, 12:33 PM
killer! thanks!

scott

Janet Fisher
02-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Robb, why an iron-free multi-vitamin?

David Wood
02-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Robb, et al.,

Can I make a suggestion for anyone looking to reduce their iron load? (Janet, I think Robb is recommending the iron-free multi-vite because there is some evidence that iron can accumulate in your body tissues to the point where it becomes a mild health hazard).

The suggestion is: bleed. Donate blood. It does good for the world, and there is a growing body of evidence that it does good for the donator, too (by reducing iron).

Dave

Janet Fisher
02-26-2003, 10:12 PM
What if you have a history of anemia? (Regarding iron supplementation).

David Wood
02-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I'm out of my league here. This is definitely time to "ask your doctor".

Good luck,
Dave

Edward D. Friedman
02-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Wearing my, "I'm not a doctor AND I don't play one on T.V." hat, I've seen some of the material David is referring to about the hazard of excess iron intake. From what I've seen though, men are more at risk because women (at least those that menstruate regularly,) already lose blood/iron on a regular basis. I'd say a consult with a real doc., knowledgable about nutrition, is in order when anemia is an issue.

Best,

Eddie