PDA

View Full Version : Check My Form: Clean and Jerk

Sean Kane
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
This is a clip from the Clean and Jerk from yesterday. It was my first time ever doing them, so I would like a little help with my form and any pointers you can give me. Sorry for the bad quality, it was taken from a cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75db-9zoDpE

John Seiler
04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Sean,

You're pretty much starting from scratch here. One hour with a competent coach is going to do more for you than a hundred posts from us. Check out the USAW site, call the local high schools and colleges -you might be surprised what you find. We found a great coach here in St. Louis. He's a level 2 USAW coach who's been teaching Olympic lifts for 20 years. Best part? He charges $50/hour.

Lynne Pitts
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Moving to Digital Coaching

Lincoln Brigham
04-04-2007, 08:05 PM
John, he lives in Alabama. He's screwed. There ain't no one no how in the whole state. No Crossfit coaches, no USAW coaches. By coincidence, Alabama is also consistently ranked in national polls as one of the least fit states in the country. Heart of the deep fat fried South. Funny how that works.

Tip 1: bring the bar in to brush the thighs. Right now it's entirely too far away from you during the pull.

Tip 2: Watch video of top lifters. Compare with your own videos.

John Seiler
04-05-2007, 01:47 PM
"John, he lives in Alabama. He's screwed."

LOL!

Sean, blaze a trail in 'Bama!

Sean Kane
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Heh..

Maybe I can get in really good shape, get crossfit certified and have a Crossfit monopoly here.

Oddly enough. Alabamians value athletic prowess (college football players), and we are home to Bill Kazmaier, weird.

John Seiler
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
"we are home to Bill Kazmaier"

Kaz!!! Look him up! Seriously, you never know. One day a little after 5pm I called Westside Barbell to inquire about their GHD. The guy on the phone was very nice. We were chatting for a few minutes when he mentioned, "that's why I designed the Reverse Hyper." It was Louie Simmons; nice and normal as you please and very interested in making sure I got the help I needed.

(Message edited by john_seiler on April 06, 2007)

Sean Kane
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, actually I will probably join Kaz's gym when I move down to Auburn for pharmacy school. <2 years

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I've met Louie on several ocassions. He wouldn't remember me at all because I gave away powerlifting over 15 years ago. Or he might just say..."yeah, yeah, the lumberjack. He had a nice deadlift."

I can remember a lot of what he was saying all those years ago. Everyone, at that time, didn't understand what he was doing. He's brought a very good training philosophy to the forefront. I sincerely tip my hat.

All the best,
Arden

Pierre Auge
04-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Sean,
watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFG65EwA_WQ

Now watch this - http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/burgener-warm-up.mov

Do the burgener warm-up as often as you can!

My advice is this - Start with cleans then move onto the jerk. Train them both seperately for the time being and then as you get more comfortable work on putting them together.

Jerk Drills

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/pre-jerk.mov

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of practice.... We can correct you form once you get some!

Burton Webb
04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Sean,

There is a seminar at Crossfit Atlanta on O lifts. I will be driving there from Mobile. That could be an option for you. Yes, we do have a great opportunity to improve fitness in Alabama. Crossfit Mobile is in the works if you come to the beach this summer.

Greg Hamilton
04-25-2007, 07:28 AM
sort of hijacking this thread BUT...

sean's up near birmingham and there is another new crossfitter in that area who already works as a martial arts instructor in a gym...may even be a business partner in the gym. i'm sure there are even more crossfitters in birmingham i haven't noticed yet or who just don't post on the forums. i think there is a WIDE OPEN market in birmingham and a crossfit affiliate in birmingham would take off like a wildfire...i really do.

my wife and i are near montgomery...a very different matter and night and day compared to birmingham. birmingham tries to be somewhat progressive but in montgomery we're content with things just the way they have been for many years, so we don't want you or anybody messing with them (sarcasm). for example, a local ymca branch got a new squat rack and i convinced the director to give it to the branch nearest my house (they have only a smith machine and machine leg press). it took me two weeks of badgering and sending emails with crossfit/squat/smith machine etc links to finally convince the director at the branch near my house that he needed it and had space for it despite the fact that it was FREE in the first place and all he had to do was send somebody to pick it up. very frustrating sometimes but at least my wife and i, and some of her friends are doing crossfit and trying to learn proper oly techniques. there are also some crossfitters on maxwell afb, but most are from other parts of the country and won't be long term residents here.

good to see somebody down in mobile, burton. you get crossfit mobile up and running and i'll definitely bring a crew down to visit. we're all in our late 30's to mid 40's and not in the greatest shape yet, but we work out hard and regularly with crossfit. my wife and one of her friends might even embarass you if you go up against them in something like the filthy fifty.

lincoln, we're not screwed in alabama, we just don't want to make changes too quickly. once the rest of the country has been doing something good for a few years and we see it's working, then we'll consider it for a few more years and then, maybe, make a change. maybe.

Lincoln Brigham
04-25-2007, 09:18 AM
I think you are right: Alabama is wide open for Crossfit. Obviously there is a serious interest in sports in AL, even if there is less interest in general fitness. The reason why I know there is no Crossfit or USAW in AL is because I've seen so many requests for coaching that get unanswered. And Crossfit is nothing if not a grow-your-own program. So go for it, Alabama!

Greg Hamilton
04-25-2007, 06:28 PM
my wife asks me when we're going to start our own affiliate at least once every week or two. when i feel like we can actually demonstrate to clients/members and prospective clients/members some truly impressive crossfit 'badassitude' and maybe go side by side with some young non-crossfit studs and put them in the dirt with a metcon workout, we'll probably try to do it. we're not there yet and still have much to learn in general. all i could do right now is show people vids of brendon, greg, annie, nicole, et al, and say 'this is what it's supposed to look like'.

my wife is worried somebody will open a shop in montgomery before we do, but i'm counting on the general lack of fitness knowledge around here to stifle any such ideas until we're possibly ready to do it. on the other hand, if somebody does it before us, we'll be tremendous supporters. we absolutely LOVE this stuff.

Glenn Pendlay
05-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Jason Poeth is in Mobile. Good coach, good guy.

Michael Shivers
05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Just came across these posts this morning. I live in Pelham, Alabama (just south of Birmingham) and have been following Crossfit for almost 2 years. In no way am I certified for teaching these methods or others but have definitely discussed them with others at the local Y where I workout. Same type situation as you Greg, always talking with the fitness director about getting certain equipment or the need for more space here or there. I run the summer camp so hold a little weight but it's no where near what a true crossfit gym would be like. The WOD's have turned a few heads and sparked an interest in a handful of people, young and old. I've also incorporated some of the workouts with the high school tennis team I coach. The kids talk about the workouts being a killer but find it much more interesting and can see the results.
And I agree with you Greg, changes take a little time down here in Alabama. We don't find a need to jump the bandwagon and try to change the world. But there are plenty of people, including myself, that are into fitness and health, and I'm sure that a Crossfit Gym would be a huge success.