PDA

View Full Version : Squats and deads

Aaron Graham
05-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Appreicate your thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYTsMRw7IY

Rene Renteria
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
To me, you look like you have some of the same squat issues that I do. Check out Pierre's suggestions in the 2nd post (and others' in subsequent ones) in this w/f s thread (edit: may have some foul language, I forget) for help on my form:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950

I'm still trying to get it right. And, of course, check out _Starting Strength_ by Rippetoe et al.

Best of luck,
Rene'

(Message edited by rrenteri on May 09, 2007)

Tom Brose
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Aaron, please follow Renes post to Pierres comments on the PM. His points are very good.

Most important is to keep the lumbar arch pulled in tight. Losing this has the potential for injury, but also misses the point of the squat. Of course at Max loading it is a struggle, but should be the primary focus. Keep the arch.

A big part of that will be keeping the chest up and driving your shoulders up into the bar. Keep the weight planted on your heels. Don't let the hips rise up before the bar moves.

One thing that I think would help both the squat and DL is to cut down on extra movement. You (as many do) fidget a bit before the lift, and I feel are not acting as delibratly as you could. Focus on each part of the lift, know what you are going to do and do it.

I recently did some deadlifting with Jerry Hill and Jen Conlin, and we videotaped ourselves. As soon as I got to 365lbs, Jerry asked me about the "double dip" I was doing (of which I was not aware). While we were discussing the reasons, Jerry asked me about my cues. I said "grip the bar, pull in tight, arch the back and pull". He asked me what then? That was it. Jerry pointed out that my pull was fine, but where my cues ran out, so did my form. Long story, important point for me. I think it would help you as well.

Rene, I think that you could fix a lot by moving your feet apart and turning the toes out a bit. you have no space to move into. press your knees apart and try to rip the floor apart underneath you.

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree with what the others have written. Good observations. Aaron, Keep up the good work!!

All the best,
Arden