PDA

View Full Version : My body weight exersize videos

Bobby Gordon-Smith
01-03-2007, 03:30 PM
www.youtube.com/user/bobbyconditioning (http://www.youtube.com/user/bobbyconditioning)

hi.. i knwo im not as strong as a gymnast or climber but i have been working alot on body weight exersizes for the past 2 years and these are my vids.
i would apreciate any tips you could give or other exersizes to try.

my main goles are planche pushups and one arm handstand and one arm pullup (i can do one oap alredy)

any way thanks for the help

-----------------
bobby parkour/streetstunt vids www.youtube.com/user/bobbyatopk (http://www.youtube.com/user/bobbyatopk)

David Wood
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Hello Bobby, welcome to CrossFit!

I'm not much of a critic, and definitely not the guy to do much coaching . . . but what the heck, I'll pitch in.

On the pullups . . . 31 is a pretty decent number, but everyone here is going to complain that you weren't going all the way down (allow me to be the first :happy:). It looks like you're pretty limited by the doorway setup you have . . . you need a better place to do them, where you can stretch all the way down.

I'd also encourage you to switch the grip occasionally (overhand as well as underhand), and if you can find a good place, learn to "kip" (using body momentum to help drive you up). There are lots and lots of discussions and videos on the CrossFit website talking about kipping and why it's a good thing. I would imagine that you could get 50 or more pullups in the kipping style once you mastered it.

On the "pseudos" . . . not quite sure what they are? sort of body-forward pushup? maybe a partial step toward the planche pushup? looks hard.

The bar muscle-ups are pretty cool . . . you're actually doing a sort of kip right there (that same swinging motion is what is used in a kipping pullup). Again, you need a real bar and/or a place to hang rings, to learn the full muscle-up . . . I imagine you'd get them pretty quickly.

On the handstand pushups, the stiff-stiff entry was good, but the arms would have to be even straighter to avoid losing points at a gymnastics meet. You look a touch wobbly in the inverted position . . . try to work on getting very tall, very long, very steady. Learn to depend on the wall less . . . move away from it entirely when you can. Make parallelettes (short, low, parallel bars) if you can . . . there are instructions at several threads in the "Equipment" section. They are real inexpensive to make from plastic plumbing pipe (maybe $10 US), and will let you be solid in your hand setting and go a bit deeper into each handstand pushup.

I'll let the real gymnastics coaches take over from here . . .

Blair Robert Lowe
01-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Bobby, awesome work, boyo!

Your bar muscle-ups are very similar to a bar kip in that you are starting in a hanging L-ish position and bring your knees to the bar to fold your body. How about trying it in a L hang with straight legs and pushing up with straight arms. Start in L, bring your toes to the bar and push up to support. I give you really good odds you could get those in a short time.

Planche-ish pushups are just pushups with your hands placed around your ribcage to work on the muscles in a planche. A lot of triceps and chest.

Elephant lift and Russian Lever are just names I've heard for Pike stand press to hand and straddled V sit. I've seen that russian lever a bit in aerobic competitions. I use to do Elephant Lifts as my presses only since I sucked at straddle stand presses.

Awesome hip flexor training! Especially with the stalder presses to hand ( straddle L press to hand and back ).

Your handstands were a bit wide in hand placement and the ones on the wall seem to lean to one side. As David said, get a set of pvc parallettes. Good to work presses and such to translate to rings. Cleaning up handstand form but I've only got a fair idea on yours.

Nice planche stuff, keep going on it.

Clapping in plyometric pushups is more about fun and machismo.

To end, great L sit press. How about start working for a Vsit to pressing up and then back through.

Pierre Auge
01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm with Blair on this very good stuff.

Bobby Gordon-Smith
01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
hey thanks alot for your advice guys.

do you know where abouts i can get the pvc pipe of the internet. i have looked every where. i made my last paralettes out of an old ladder but i dont like them.

also blair what did you meen by this "How about start working for a Vsit to pressing up and then back through."

Jennifer Conlin
01-27-2007, 03:13 AM
You can get the PVC at any Homedepo or hardware store.
If your a traceur you should come by www.primal-fitness.com (http://www.primal-fitness.com) we are parkour and Crossfit based. I think you could get some good advice from Jesse and Mark. Nice vids!
Jen

Blair Robert Lowe
01-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Bobby.

Start in an L or V sit and press to handstand. Then lower down from handstand back to L or V. This will require you stooping through the space between your shoulders and hands. Given your pike flexibility, it shouldn't be a problem.

Work safe, family safe. It's a video of L press to handstand on P bars.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/video/display?path=pbb009.mpg

Now just imagine you do this in reverse upon getting into handstand besides having to compress enough so your feet don't catch on the floor.

Travis Hall
02-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Just curious- What's your height and weight.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
T.