PDA

View Full Version : Some help with my clean ...

Mike Gray
04-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi guys!

I've been on CF for a bit less than a month bow, and I've been working on my clean for half a year or so. I'd really appreciate some tips and pointers.

I've uploaded three vids from Saturday's WOD. On two of them - one which I managed to pull, the other on which I failed - the barbell seems definitely too far from my body, particularly at the top. Though: I'm not sure whether that was more a form problem or an exhaustion problem! (I'd spent a bunch of extra time playing with my new rings before the WOD!)

Also, I have very sore shoulders as of two days later. I wonder if I'm not getting set up correctly and "jerking" to much at the beginning of the clean.

(OTOH, that may be from the ring work and extra kipping practice I'd done the evening before. That kipping also sems to hit my shoulders hard. Or: all the above!)

Just a few thoughts from me. I'm sure you all will see a host of other issues! I've had no coaching at all - so far!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikesusangray/CrossfitUpload

BTW, I think Picasa is GREAT!

Mike

Lincoln Brigham
04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Move your knees out of the way of the bar; right now you are trying to move the bar around your knees.

Get your elbows around quicker and higher when you rack the clean. Rack the bar on the shoulders, not your hands.

Mike Gray
04-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmm. Thanks for those pointers.

A question: why are my knees getting in the way? In looking at other vids here, I get the impression that I'm starting too low, in a sort of deep squat. Is that where I'm going wrong? Somehow, I have the feeling that I'm not managing to get all my strength into the lift.

Also, about racking: err ... I'm kind of scared of banging a heavy barbell against my collar bone! I guess that's something to get used to, eh?

Lincoln Brigham
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
They are getting in the way because you are not pulling them out of the way. You are trying to move the bar around the knees instead.

Practice racking the barbell with an empty barbell. Use elbow rotation to actively drive the barbell into position rather than passively letting the bar crash on you. Practice front squats a lot.

Bradford Green
04-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Mike, Linc is giving you great pointers. Work on those things and watch lots and lots of videos. What do you see experienced lifters doing differently? A good clean can take awhile to learn, but keep at it and don't be afraid to practice with some PVC or bar only. Good luck!

Mike Gray
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you, guys!

We've got more cleans (and jerks) on the menu today, so it'll be a great chance to keep on practicing. Just need to pick up some superglue to fill out the rips in my hands first ...

I must say that that's the very first time I've filmed myself doing - well, doing anything. It had never occured to me before I saw this part of the forum. It was quite the eye opener. Until I actually saw myself there, I thought I was doing just fine ... sigh!

But I'll get there!