PDA

View Full Version : Snatch/ OHS position

Anthony Myers
01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
in this picture is some handsome devil doing two Overhead squats

one is a wide grip ,pretty much right as far apart as he can go,

the other is a closer grip.. the way he does it in warmups because his broomstick isn't long enough

He thinks he has an idea of which feels better, but wonders what everyone else thinks about it

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35047.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35048.jpg

Anthony Myers
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
HELP!

i want to be able to snatch properly!

Lincoln Brigham
01-05-2007, 10:32 PM
The grip in the second photo is almost certainly too narrow or at the limits of how narrow you should go. How tall are you?

Carrie Klumpar
01-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Anthony, you'll probably be happiest with something closer to the first (wider).

In any case, though, get those shoulders active and drive the bar up toward the ceiling with fully extended arms (straight elbows)! There should be lots of tension throughout your arms, shoulders, and torso (throughout your whole body, in fact). Even when the weight is light.

Anthony Myers
01-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Lincoln, I'm 6'2" and 3/4s

Carrie, tension, eh?... probably going to have to go cog to cog. and I'll defenitely start thinking about making the arms perfectly straight

ty guys

Lincoln Brigham
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
At 6'2" your grip should be collar-to-collar or pretty close to that. I'm 6'1" and change. I go collar-to-collar or sometimes a 1/2" in, depending on my mood.
http://www.crossfitsedona.com/Videos/BodyWeightOverheadSquat.mov

Edit: Link is work/family/Crossfit safe. It may traumatize some ACE-certified trainers, however.

(Message edited by lincoln on January 09, 2007)

Andy Shirley
01-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Lincoln,
As a side note, I wonder if going collar to collar makes it easier to hold on to heavy OHS. My biggest problem, especially lately with the crap bars at my current gym, is holding the weight. My hands slip out. If your already at the collars, there's nowhere to go. Of course if I gripped it at the collars, the bar would be making a dent in my head.

Lincoln Brigham
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I think it helps. I have a slightly unusual approach to my snatch grip in that my pulling grip for the snatch is 1/2" in from the collar but my overhead grip is collar-to-collar. As the bar passes my head I push out until my hands are jammed up against the collars. I don't advise or teach this. It simply works for me, YMMV.

Usually us tall guys are disadvantaged in the snatch, so I'll take every advantage I can get including pushing out against the collars. Shorter lifters shouldn't emulate this.

James Falkner
01-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I have found that collar to collar hurts my wrists when "going heavy". I'm 6'2". When I get around 60-65% of my BW, 5 or more snatches at that weight hurt my wrists when collar to collar, so I have worked on my shoulder flexibility (doing a lot of shoulder dislocates) and now I can move my grip in, about a grips width from the collars on each side.

Blair Robert Lowe
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Wasn't there a picture on the front page a month ago that dealt with sizing up the ideal distance.
Basically the upper arm is held horizontal, while the elbow is bent to vertical. Hold the bar. Then of course, straight arms.
I never was taught any rules for the grip and I haven't really analyzed much video to see if that always seems the case. Youtube and CF should have plenty though.

Lincoln Brigham
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
There are several ways to pick a starting grip for the snatch. One is hold your left arm out horizontal from your side and measure the distance from the outside of the right shoulder to the fingertips of the left hand. Another is to hold the bar overhead and adjust the grip until the bar is 6-8" from the top of the head. The "elbow to elbow" distance is yet another method.

No method is set in stone. There have been many elite lifters who barely clear their own head. Others go for a narrower than normal grip for overhead comfort and a better pull. Basically you pick a grip width, use it for a while and then adjust from there. But for most lifters 6'2" tall, I'd say 6" in from the collars - as Anthony demonstrates in his second picture - is probably too narrow.

Anthony Myers
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Lincoln, I think I do the same thing as you

when I'm at the start of the lift, collar to collar seems a just a little too far, and messes with my grip.
but at the top,and OHSing, the collars offer extra support to the arms.

But as James says, collar to collar does hurt my wrists.
thats pretty much the reason why I started the Thread in the first place. :crutch00:

p.s. Anyone reading this, don't forget to use the hook grip. It hurts at the start, but it is worth it in the end.