PDA

View Full Version : Dead lift Form

Jerry Mobbs
12-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Hope you all head a great Christmas.

I would appreciate any comments on my deadlift form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYH9uRRUPmU

I 'think' my biggest problem is that I raise my hips before I start to move the bar, but would like to hear from the experts.

Cheers

Jerry

Joe Celso
12-26-2006, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't consider myself an "expert", but my first advice would be slow down a little. It appears to me you're trying to blast the weight off the floor and you back is not ready for the quick shot of power from your legs. It seems to me your start position is ok (maybe raise your butt to get yourself "in front" of the bar just a bit) but as soon as you go to lift, it looks like you lose your back a bit. You definitely are not keeping a tight back on the way down. Your butt rises first, but your back softens too... I think the back is a bigger issue and if you fix that then your butt won't rise first.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-26-2006, 06:57 AM
I think your hips are rising too fast. Sit back more and get your chest up. Try to get your weight on your heels and less on the balls of your feet.

When I execute a conventional dead, I have to remind myself to keep my butt down and my head up. Stay tight and keep your entire torso rigid. Suck in your belly button as you go to execute the lift. Sit back on your heels and drive with your legs. Keep your hips down for the initial portion of the lift and drive with your legs.

As an old school powerlifter, get your shoulders further back and your chest out when you lock out the top of the rep.

Hope that helps? And just so you know, I think you're doing very well.

all the best,
Arden

Jerry Mobbs
12-29-2006, 02:19 AM
thanks for the tips

have spent the last 3 days reading and re-reading the starting strength section on deadlifts

squeezing the weight off the floor seems to be the cue that works for me

will keep at it and send another video in in a few weeks for a befroe and after

thanks for the tips

jerry

Douglas Chapman
12-29-2006, 05:07 AM
Jerry,

A lot of times, just seeing what you are doing fixes the problems.

Here is a video of two 57 y/o ladies doing DLs. It was the brunette's first time really lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnMxnyzzEY

When people see what they are doing, they wince and change what they are doing.

Keep the video camera handy and review often. What do you think?

Doug

Joshua Murphy
12-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Jerry -

I am not an expert, but I think Arden hit this spot on. Big chest, shoulders back. Looking forward to seeing the next video.

Doug - awesome job with all the videos on youtube (always great soundtracks!)

thanks!

Douglas Chapman
12-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks Joshua,

It helps so much to have people see themselves.

Some of the form in our video can be pretty bad but it let's SEE improvements in their form.

The soundtracks cover up my big mouth yelling at them: Head Up, Bigs Chest, Back Straight, Heals Down.

Keith Wittenstein
12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Great comments all around. I have one thing that I'm noticing that should be addressed. The weights come crashing down pretty hard to the floor. I'm not one of those people that kicks people out of the gym for making noise, but that sound indicates to me that at the last second you are not staying tight and are relaxing too much.

IMHO if you are not doing reps for time, you should have greater control of the weight especially on the eccentric portion of the lift. If you were to stay really tight, you would end the lift in the exact same place that you started. And if you reinforce that position it will make your first pull off the floor that much stronger. So really stay with it until the weights are quietly placed on the floor. I find that the position from the floor to just below the knees is the hardest on the way up and the way down and you really have to keep it much tighter in the back.

Go a little lighter and slower on that part of the lift.

Good luck and happy new year.

Joe Marsh
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Doug, that was an awesome video. I literally cracked a huge smile watching it. Ditto on the good music. By the way, I'm jealous of your facility!!

Matt Fullerton
01-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Jerry,
I did the same thing as I learned how to DL (still am), and this helped me focus. Remember the picture a few weeks ago of Nichole (?) at the bottom position of the post-maximal deadlift? Her form was perfect, she was pulling hard, but nothing was moving.

1. Before the bar moves from the floor, find your position and block out just like you were. Now pull up against the bar, but only about 60-70 lbs worth.

2. The bar won't move, and neither should your hips, knees, or back.

3. From there, SLOWLY apply more pressure and "squeeze" the weight off the floor.

4. Once this sequence feels more natural, start decreasing the time you apply the "mini pull" until it's less than a second.

It took me a couple weeks to really get this integrated into my DL, but it helped fix what I had taken so long to break!

Jerry Mobbs
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Matt

Tried your advice for both deadlifts and cleans.

Its worked great for me.

That extra bit of time really helps to get everything set up under load before you go for it.

Cheers

Jerry

Rene Renteria
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Just watched your video. Nice work. I thought maybe your feet are pointed outward a bit far (or that you need to keep your knees outward more). Take a look at your left foot, which you adjust outward right before you begin to pull. It looks like your knees are tracking inward of your feet and not directly over your feet, which could cause problems (similar to what is discussed about the squat in _Starting Strength_). I think Rippetoe suggests a more toes-forward and narrower stance for the deadlift vs. the squat. Not sure but just an impression.

Best,
Rene'

Arden Cogar Jr.
01-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Matt - that's awesome advice. Do you might if I convey that to some friends of mine? Well written and easy to understand.

All the best,
Arden