PDA

View Full Version : More Concept II Rowing

Lincoln Brigham
01-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not as fast as Gabe Rinaldi, but maybe I'm prettier!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzpwdj4DJoE
1:56.7 seconds, 27 strokes per minute, damper setting at "5". This video was from the middle of an interval workout. Not my best technique ever, but fairly representative and comments are welcome.

Okay, maybe I'm not prettier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1d0MC-Qu9M
This was a failed attempt at a pr 500 meter row. Current PR is 1:36. The first 250 meter split was 1:34.1 pace at 46spm. Was at 1:29 pace for a few seconds. Chain slap was horrible. Lost contact with the seat a few times. Shins weren't coming to vertical. Technique was just plain ugly on so many levels. Flamed out at the one-minute mark but still finished in 1:46.1. Second 250 split was 1:58.2 at 28spm.

Lessons learned for the next attempt? I can't row that fast of a stroke rate for very long and still stay in the seat! Maybe a higher damper setting and a lower stroke rate? For this row the damper was set at "5" and for my 1:36 row it was set at "10".

All links work/family/church safe.

Chris Kemp
01-20-2007, 04:56 AM
Lincoln, first thing that leaps out at is your knee bend almost immediately after full extension. Once you kick 'em straight leave 'em there until you recover your hands past them. They are bent while you are still bringing the handle into your body so not a real strong foundation to pull against. Also, a little more violent with the pull - whip the handle into the body. It is not unusual for me to have a light bruise from this after a hard rowing session.

Not 100% sure of this with the white shirt on white background but looks like you are bending the arm early. Also holding the handle really tight so the wrist is ending up at an angle. No need to crush the handle through the power phase and on the recovery fingertip pressure is perfctly adequate.

Regarding the recovery see comments above - arms, back, legs. No knee bend until the hands pass the knees but otherwise, the rate of recovery compared to the power phase looks good.

The PR attempt - all of the above and with the higher stroke rate it becomes clear that it is your hands moving up and over the knees that is contributing to the chain slap. 46 is too fast for just about everyone and definitely you. Set yourself a max stroke rate of 35 and make the most of each one of those strokes.

On that note, think about stomping the heel down as soon as you can in the stroke - just one thing I have found for generating a bit more oomph.

Cheers, kempie

Skylar Cook
01-21-2007, 09:02 AM
From my limited experience, I'm noticing that there's a little "gap" phase when you shift from pushing with your legs to pulling with your arms. I'd just shoot for a more efficient/faster transition, try to use the momentum from your push to ease the strain on your arms... This is probably a totally incorrect assessment, so ignore it :biggrin:.

Lincoln Brigham
01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
first thing that leaps out at is your knee bend almost immediately after full extension.

You can blame Burgener and years of Olympic lifting on that! I've been working really really hard on speeding up the transition from the second pull to the pull under and now that I think I've finally got a quick transition I find out that it's all wrong for rowing!

a little more violent with the pull - whip the handle into the body.

Good point; I wasn't sure about how to approach the finish of the pull. When I pull hard at the end of the stroke I tend to get a curve with bit of a double hump:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35837.jpg

I'm trying to get a single hump with a sharper downward slope on the finish. Right now the finish is a bit flat:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35838.jpg

I think what you want is a bit more like this, the "Left-leaning Haystack" with a sharper finish:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/35839.jpg
Yes?

No need to crush the handle through the power phase and on the recovery fingertip pressure is perfctly adequate.

I'm usually pretty good about using a light grip on the recovery; I'll be sure to check on the power phase.

Thanks for the tips!

Chris Kemp
01-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Lincoln, never seen it broken down like that but the left leaning hay stack makes some sense. Looking at it, if you can hit the arm pull with legs locked that should transfer power more consistently and maybe kill that double hump ... Could you keep me posted on this as you tweak things up?

Cheers, kempie

Lincoln Brigham
01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
You bet.

I hit a pr 1:36.2 for the 500 meters on Tuesday up in Flagstaff. Getting better... I'm back in the top 25 for my age/weight for the season. Damper setting "8", 36spm, elevation 7,000 feet... ran out of legs, not air.

Thanks for the tips.

Chris Kemp
01-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Linc, if you're running out of legs try phasing down the damper even further. It took me a long time to change the mindset that higher meant better but I am pretty sure my rowing is better and faster since I have.

Cheers, kempie

Lincoln Brigham
01-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Great minds think alike? On my last pr of 1:36.6 the damper was at "10". Usually I have the damper set to about "4". I'm getting there, slowly.

Chris Kemp
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Cool, forgot to say last time - Nice PR. When you start getting close fractions of a second are to be savoured.

BTW another thing I have one of my "mass challenged" mates trying at the moment is rowing with a weight vest. No doubt the big fellas have an advantage on the rower - maybe it will help even the odds - or else just make things harder. This was just an intuitive thing that popped into my head over a meal - no idea if it will work but it feels right.

Cheers, kempie

Lincoln Brigham
01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
I've been working on getting my hands and back out first on the recovery. Also worked on getting a more explosive, stomping-the-heels-into-the-pad drive. And rowing with fingertips only. Rowed a 30:00 piece this morning. Exceeded my previous [pitiful] effort by 265 meters. Stroke rate was down to 19spm vs. 21spm.

Chris Kemp
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Cool!!