PDA

View Full Version : Squat Technique

Yaniv Bigo
01-30-2007, 08:51 AM
I would appreciate any comments on this squat...

BTW - if you watch carefully you'll see that I had put a tennis ball in my neck to make sure I'm lifting the chest high enough etc' (I saw the tip on "starting strength" by Mark Rippetoe).

the link is:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpAcAeQ9qWQ

Thanks in advance...

Yaniv

John Seiler
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Yaniv;

Kinda hard watching it sideways but three things stand out:

-SLOW DOWN! You're almost dropping into the squat. Control the descent. When you start using heavier weights, that bar isn't going to stop so easily if you keep dropping.

-Do full squats. Get yourself down there. You'll be stronger and have better flexibility. Don't worry about knee problems. My knees feel better know than when I was doing parallel power squats.

-Ditch the belt unless you are going for a max effort single. Even then I only use them for deads.

The good parts? You stayed upright and drove through your heels.

(Message edited by john_seiler on January 30, 2007)

Yaniv Bigo
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi John :-)

1. Sorry for the "sideway" video - I couldn't rotate so I uploaded it the way it is... sorry man!

2. About slowing down - didn't noticed it myself - thanks for the tip!

3. About the full squats - I'm doing it like Mark Rippetoe said in his book "starting strength" - if you pause the picture when I'm at the bottom I think you'll see that the anterior surface of the thigh is lower than the top of the knees. Could you please 'freeze' the picture and tell me what you think about it(once again)? isn't it a full squat?:dunno:

About the belt - I also use it the way Mark said...

Btw - are you a crossfit coach as well?

Anyway - thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Allen Yeh
01-31-2007, 05:17 AM
Yaniv,

I tried to take your video frame by frame but youtube wouldn't let me so here is my input as best I can while holding my head sideways.

1. Tempo - This has to do with the slowing down thing, there are times to have a fast descent and times to have a slow descent. I haven't been able to buy Starting Strength yet but my guess is that you're suppose to use a slow tempo. Anywhere 3-4 count descent. If you need to count then count in your head.

2. Depth - It's hard to tell but I'm not sure you are getting there. it seems like you stop yourself right before that point.

3. Foot gear -Stop doing heavy squats in sneakers it looks like your lower legs are tilting in when you squat I'm guessing more due to the compression of the cushion in your sneakers rather than a form problem. Mark R. recommends squat shoes but if you aren't going to buy those at the very least get flat shoe like wrestling shoes or Chuck Taylors.

4. Bar placement - Where are you holding the bar? IT seems like you are holding it high up but I can't tell since you can't see.

my 2 cents.

John Seiler
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Yaniv,

I have the utmost respect for Coach Rip. I'll have to go back and read what he recommends in Starting Strength. Either way, what you're doing is a parallel squat. Most folk around here are doing full squats.

I am not a CrossFit coach. To my knowledge there are only a handful. Coach Rip, Coach Rut (KC), and Coach Burgener (Mike's Gym) come to mind quickly.

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I would echo everything that Allen has written. I would also add that you have some "loose motion" before you descend. As an old school powerlifter, one of the things I learned was to "stay tight." Keep everything rigid and in line thoroughout the entire movement. Even between reps. Don't lose form under any circumstance.

I think you're depth is fine. It's a matter of comfort. Unless your competing, I see no need to go beyond what's comfortable at this stage. But I would again defer to the other and particuarly coach rip. He knows and has written some wondeful material on lots of subjects.

The most important thing is what everyone has written - slow the tempo. Control the descent.

Hope that helps?

All the best,
Arden

Carrie Klumpar
02-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Just to clarify: the slow part is the descent; you want to move up quickly.

Yaniv Bigo
02-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Wow guys, so many great tips! I thank you all for helping me - I'll implement everything you said!

THANKS!