PDA

View Full Version : TimW tries to deadlift...

Tim Weaver
02-02-2007, 05:44 PM
OK...need to work on my form I am sure. Plus gave me a chance to play with Windows Movie Maker.

Critique please...oh, and remember the camera add 1,500 pounds..I am not that fat.
;)

Tim Weaver
02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
OK, I am unsure if I posted this vid correctly. If not, let me know and I will host it on my website for download.....or if someone could fix my error...... :-)

Lynne Pitts
02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Hosting and posting a link is always mucho better...saves bandwidth and avoids the annoying ".unk" file extension. However, if you rightclick/save as and change the unk to wmv, all is well.

Tim Weaver
02-02-2007, 10:19 PM
In the future, I will host/post. Sorry.

Carrie Klumpar
02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Tim, it's quite good except for one BIG thing--keep the bar close to your body at all times. Really close. No, closer. Like: touching your shins and then your thighs. And then, on the way down, touching your thighs and then your shins.

The other problem is not keeping your weight on your heels at the bottom, Your heels should be GLUED to the floor at all times. But I think that if you fix problem #1 (Keep the bar close! Did I mention that? :g:), it'll just nicely fix up #2 as well.

Once you've got that cleaned up, you could get more particular about really setting the back into position (as much lumbar arch as you can muster) and actively drawing the shoulders blades back and down before you begin the pull. Especially as the weight increases, this will help you maintain tension and good back mechanics.

Thanks for posting the vid.

Tim Weaver
02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
It's good? You are being kind, I am sure. :-)

I tried to get the bar close...no, closer...but that was the best I can do. My limited hamstring flexibility really wants me to just bend at the hips and use my back. :-)

If I have enough weight, I can actually sit back without the bar coming off the ground (kind of like leaning back on a full grocery cart v. empty and having the front wheels come off the ground..the guys know what I am talking about!!)

Here's what *I* see when I do it...but never really watching anyone DL I can't say whether this is good or bad:

1. Not enough back arch. Flexibility issue. Fixable.

2. "Out-of-synch" lifting. It seems as if I am doing two separate lifts...part with my legs, and part with my back. I THOUGHT that I was doing it all in one fluid motion, but I can see I am not. I do not know if this is a bad thing or not.

In case anyone was wondering the weight, it was 155 (um...pounds, not kilos) in the first set and 145# in the second set. Yes, I am a "lightweight". But ya gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement, Carrie.

Anyone else?

Carrie Klumpar
02-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Trust me, the bar-close-to-the-body issue is the #1 thing to fix at this point. Yeah, sure, go for more back arch and take your time to really set your back (use your breath to help) at the beginning. But to get the right mechanics and not injure your back, you have to keep the bar close to your body.

And I'm not buying the hamstring flexibility plea. As far as the hammies are concerned, you're in the position already. You're there, so I know you can be there. Now just pull the bar back toward your body, before you even begin to lift (and throughout the lift, & the descent). It's your lats that do this. As for leaning back when you have more weight (your shopping cart analogy), that's great for keeping your heels down and really loading the glutes & hams properly. However, I'm afraid that if you do that, you'll end up with your shoulders behind the bar (and possibly your butt too low), which is not where you want to be.

Allen Yeh
02-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Tim,

2 great links on deadlifting:
T-nation work/family - safe?
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459964

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=586815

The first link is the basics and the 2nd link is a tweaking article.

As to what you were saying:

1. Back arch, rounded thoracic in deadlifting is fine, rounded lumbar spine in conventional deadlifting is not fine.

2. I noticed it a little bit but to be honest that isn't as large of an issue as to what Carrie already pointed out in the keeping the bar close to you at all points during the lift.

Tim Weaver
02-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Carrie and Allen

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will be paying attention to them...the big thing I learned here is the amount of play the upper back has in the whole thing...I always thought of the DL as being a leg, back and lift.

I thought I was keeping the bar close, but in review, I can see that I really wasn't. Thanks.

Allen, checked out both those links. Great information there. One thing they mention in the second one is using the mixed grip versus just a hook grip. Why?

Also, both mention a clean and a snatch grip DL. My guess is the clean grip is gripping overhand, like using a hook grip, so that the bar can be received a la a clean. The snatch grip would be wider, and again an overhand grip.

Is this correct?

Thanks again...I now have some good information to help out...especially lowering the weight and engaging my upper back in the process. :-)

Allen Yeh
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Mixed grip is something used in powerlifting more often than not. I'd work the hook grip as much as possible but the mixed grip can be a viable alternative.

Yes that's correct, clean width grip is what a conventional deadlift calls for.

Kenneth Urakawa
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey Tim!

Ditto what they said. A couple of things:

Keep in mind that at the start, your toes, knees, and shoulders should all be in front of the bar.

One thing that works for me is to get my grip without worrying about anything else, and then bring the bar in against my shins (bloody shins look manly, by the way); then I pull myself down into position, getting the back "set", weight on the heels, and the slack out of the arms.

As the bar comes up, the angle of the back relative to the floor should not change, just straighten the legs, and then once the bar clears the kneecaps drive the hips through. Coming down is exactly the opposite.

I use a conventional overhand grip, unless the weight is near-max--then a mixed grip provides a slightly stronger grip. But it also has a tendency to make me pull a little bit further back with the supinated (palm forward) side. So I try to alternate which hand is forward.

And many thanks for putting me in touch with David--got a prototype last week and it's pretty cool.

Talk to you soon-

Tim Weaver
02-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Send me pics of the prototype, and thanks for the tips!!