PDA

View Full Version : My OHS... good, bad, indifferent??

Misael Lopez
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey gang,

I had the crazy idea to post my OHS and get some feedback. Before this I had felt like I was doing it allright, but I hadn't seen myself performing the motion before.

This is me OHS'ing 159.5# at a bw of 153# (should be 147# but that's another story...). The lift felt good. I'm still having some flexibility issues with my left ankle, but it's coming along.

Click here to watch missileohs1595 (http://media.putfile.com/missileohs1595)

http://media.putfile.com/missileohs1595

I wasn't sure which link would work, so I posted them both. Anyways, please let me know how my form looks with respect to squat depth, shoulder position, torso angle, shoe color.... I want to know I have a good OHS before I proceed with adding more weight. Otherwise I'll cut weight back and work the technique angle.

By the way, sorry for the huffing and puffing, just hit mute for a more pleasurable viewing experience.

Pierre Auge
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Misael, its hard to see at that angle but its good up until you reach bottom at which point you seem to shift some of the weight onto your toes. This drives your torso forward slightly and makes the transition back upward a bit slower out of the hole.

Frankly its so minor that I'm pretty much just picking on you. It looks very good! Only one tip, glue those shoulders to your ears... That will help with that very miniscule balance issue on the bottom of the squat. Yep it looks good!

John Seiler
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
If I were your coach I'd like to see you go a little deeper (2").

Misael Lopez
09-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Pierre, I didn't key on the shifting forward bit, I thought that part was OK. Really I was wondering about torso angle, having a more upright torso during the lift and for that I think I would need more ankle flexibility (which I'm working on). But your point is quite valid, at lighter weights I have a slight tendency to pop up a little on my toes.

Also I just pulled Jerry Hill's old video of his 225# OHS and the depth jumped out at me, too. Good call, John.

Well, it's settled. More depth and better form are called for.

Thanks

Anthony Bainbridge
09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Awesome work! Depth looked right at parallel.

Charlie Jackson
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
That's a nice job on a bodyweight overhead squat. Personally I always like to pause at the bottom to establish to myself that I have gone deep enough and have control of the weight. I also don't like my feet to move at all. Anytime I have to walk at top, I feel I did something wrong and lost control of the load somehow.

Lincoln Brigham
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Good effort, particularly in those shoes.

Jason Carriveau
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
looked good to me, now go for reps!!