PDA

View Full Version : My back squat

Anthony Papadopoulos
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
i am trying to improve it a bit, but not gain any size at all, since i want to maintain a high relative strength. i don't think if this is possible.. And i find not eating enough doesn't work well :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKISLIQWnU

Andy Shirley
11-21-2006, 10:21 PM
private video, wont load.

Anthony Papadopoulos
11-21-2006, 11:45 PM
sorry, fixed it. :D

Anthony Bainbridge
11-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Your depth looked pretty good, but other than that ....

- you're squatting in a smith machine
- you're using a pad
- your friend put his hand on the bar

I'm not trying to be negative, but come on ... you know better.

Anthony Papadopoulos
11-22-2006, 05:52 AM
hey beast... thanks for the reply

- unfortunately, this smith/rack combo is the only rack my gym has. Stupid i know. Its not a smith machine restricting you in a linear motion ( you can actually tip forward or fall backward etc) but you have NO side to side motion of the bar. I AM AS AN ANTI-machine guy as you can get but i have to work with what i have :-(
I at least i do olympic lifts, deads etc with free weights (not there in this strange rack).
Anyway i do think that it's almost identical to free squating, because when i jerk some weight and safely lower it on my back and squat it (free weights) i have the exact same technique and i find no difference at all, whatsoever :D. In fact i may find it a bit easier.
This does not negate the fact that this piece of equipment is REALLY STUPID and serves no purpose at all, and if i had a real rack i would not hesitate to use it for my heavy squats.

- yes the pad. It's ***.. i MUST GET RID OF IT :-(

- my stupid friend yes... He didn't actually touch the bar (because i asked him afterwards if he did when i saw the vid) .he knew very very well that if he did touch the bar and help me, i would get VERY angry at him, because i would waste my 1rm effort. if u watch it frame by frame you ll notice it that he doesn't actually touch the bar till the end when i racked it back.

- my depth, hmm, i think i could have gone a bit lower for extra posterior chain work, .

and no you are not being negative at all, you are offering constructive criticsm.

Anthony Bainbridge
11-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Well I'm glad it didn't come across negative! Sometimes well meaning statements over the net are misinterpreted, especially between different languages/cultures.

Anyway, I checked out some of your other videos on youtube and you definitely have some good strength. Keep it up!