PDA

View Full Version : My Second Date with Fran

Anthony Bainbridge
01-17-2006, 08:17 AM
My time was a bit slower this time around because of some issues with tendons / thumbs / fingers / forearms. This is most noticeable during chinups.

Anyway, I figured I would post this for your enjoyment ... point, laugh, criticize, etc.

Oh, and I apologize for the potty mouth. You may want to turn it down if you are at work. Also, you may have to copy the entire link below into your browser, as the CF forum seems to cut it off at the brackets. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(Message edited by anthonyb on January 17, 2006)

Anthony Bainbridge
01-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Was it that boring? Yikes...

Bart Jones
01-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice work,
I was swearing today during elizabeth too!! Well looks like you wanted some feedback and you haven't gotten any yet so I'll throw out my 2 cents. Trust me I am no expert and your time on fran demolishes mine. Anyways, I don't know if it was the issues with your tendons, but you don't seem to be extending all the way down on your pullups. I bet if you extended all the way down and worked on your kip on the pullup portion, you would be faster than you already fast 4 minutes and change.

Anthony Bainbridge
01-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Bart! I don't like to swear, but sometimes it just pops out when I'm visiting the girls!

You're right, I do need to work on my kip. I understand the principles, just haven't practised it enough yet. As for the full extension, I had issues in the past while doing wide grip. I no longer use a wide grip, but I think my mind still expects the pain and stops just before I get there. A habit I will have to correct, especially for kipping. Maybe that's why I have such a hard time with kipping in the first place.

I may run Fran again on Saturday and I'll pay closer attention to the chins. Anyway, thanks again!

Brad Williams
01-18-2006, 01:44 PM
You will hammer Fran once you dial in your kip.

Nice work.

BTW, did you get the doc I forwarded a few weeks back?

Anthony Bainbridge
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Brad. I did receive the docs and I apologize I have not replied!! Holidays took hold and well, you know how it goes. Again, very sorry I did not thank you for the info. It was very helpful. It will be awhile before I'm ready, but never too early to start planning. :proud:

Russ Greene
01-18-2006, 04:27 PM
The good news = you're strong as a bull and have good endurance.

The bad news- your shoulder flexibility is lacking, preventing you from reaching full range of motion in the top of the thruster and bottom of the pullup.

Anthony Bainbridge
01-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Russ, you are correct that my shoulders have poor flexibility. But when you say full ROM at the top of the thruster do you mean elbows locked or bringing the bar into an OHS position? My OHS squat position is very poor, so when I extend, the bar is still in front. I've been doing the CFWU and working on bring my arms back to the proper position. It's improving ... slowly. I'll do a search on things to speed this up since I know OHS are going to roll around sooner or later.

Russ Greene
01-18-2006, 08:24 PM
What do you mean by OHS position? If you mean elbows locked with the weight directly overhead as opposed to in front, yes you're lacking that.

Anthony Bainbridge
01-19-2006, 03:43 AM
By OHS position I mean:
(deleted link)
I can lock my elbows no problem during military/push press/jerk, but the bar is not as far back as in the picture. It's something I'm working on, though.

John Velandra
01-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Anthony - nice job - good explosiveness out of the blocks on the trusters.... made me revise my workout for today to include it into the rounds.

Thanks!

Anthony Bainbridge
01-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks John ... I wish I had the video from today!! My extension on thrusters was much better and stomped through at 3:51!!

I'm visiting a friend out of town next weekend and I'll be introducing him to Fran ... so I'll bring the camera and hope I pull another sub 4 on video! I have 5 witnesses from today though!!

Baron Dorff
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm glad to hear it's not just me that gets foul-mouthed during the more taxing WODs.:lol:.

Kevin Burns
03-21-2006, 08:09 AM
so funny. i rarely ever have a PG rated workout either. i'm not sure if i'm cursing my inability to survive the workout or the workout itself.

Kevin Kaeating
04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
hey man do you bodybuild too, im looking to keep my mass but if i striclty do crossfit i find myself getting too skinny losing mass, what am i missing?!!

Anthony Bainbridge
04-10-2006, 04:47 AM
You're missing food!!

Zach Even - Esh
04-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Anthony,

you're a beast!
You also compete in Judo, right?

Keep kicking a** brudda!!

--zach--

Anthony Bainbridge
04-16-2006, 07:42 AM
haha, thanks Zach. It's unfortunate that my only video of Fran was during my absolute worst showing!! I do compete in Judo, although I've mostly been training for MMA this year (bjj/wrestling/boxing/muay thai).

Pierre Auge
04-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Kevin, Anthony is completely right about the food, keep the calorie intake high with the right foods and you wont have any problems keeping your mass. Don't be afraid of good fats either. As long as your activity levels are up to match, good fats will help you keep your mass while maintaining a lean frame.

My personal problem is keeping the mass off. I'm between 140-145lbs right now and its the best weight I've ever been at. Fast, Strong and Lean. All on CrossFit.

Anthony keep it up man, I've been keeping track of what you've been up to and its pretty impressive. Hands up for a fellow Canuck. Here's a tip for shoulder flexibility. A friend of mine about your size and build, terrible shoulder flexibility, couldn't hold his hand up straight overhead. I started him working on Turkish Get-Ups everyday just a couple sets of 5. Within a couple of weeks he was not only putting up some impressive weights but his flex was considerably better in both his elbows and shoulders. He can overhead lift and do full extension pull-ups now as if it was never a problem.

Aidan O Brien
04-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Hey Anthony, that is serious stuff right there, had my first date with Fran last night and it took me about 11 mins!!!!! You could have done it twice in that time which is pretty scare.

All in all man, your an inspiration, thanks for the vids and the journal, hope you heal up soon and keep it all coming!

Anthony Bainbridge
04-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I was a little bummed out that I missed the recent round of Fran due to injury. I will get her next time. Sub 4, on camera, full range of motion - mark my word!

Martin Schap
04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I wish I could swear during my workouts sometimes, but I work at a Catholic high school, so I have to confine myself to inarticulate screaming. Funny, the kids all think I'm an absolute animal for this and other reasons, but I'm actually very wimpy by CF standards. A sub 4 Fran? That's amazing. My PR is 7:12...
P.S. Zach Even-Esh? THE Zach Even-Esh whose stuff I've been reading in Men's Fitness? The articles on how to be the guy doing the most reps are good stuff. Anthony, if this guy thinks you're a beast then you are. What he says goes.

Anthony Persi
04-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Like already stated, the kip might help you shave off some time, and extending the arms I think would be my best suggestion. I'm still pretty new so I won't try to pretend I know this stuff, but those 2 things make the most sense to me. Other then that man, I want the person doing your recording to come coach me! I need that kick in the butt sometimes to stay moving and I don't always have someone to work out with.

Anthony Bainbridge
04-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Martin, hahah, thanks man.

Anthony, you're 100% correct ... as my range of motion has improved, my kip has also improved, and not surprisingly, my chinup numbers have gone through the roof.

Anthony Bainbridge
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Blah, I'm such a liar! I recorded my set of chins today and they sucked. I couldn't find my groove and my reps were short (and they felt short, so I knew it before I watched the film). I still managed 40, but I'm not happy with it. So it's a tentative PR ... I'll try again tomorrow.

Anthony Persi
04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Don't feel bad, I took 9 days off and couldn't get back up to 20 straight pullups. Funny how quick it leaves you if you aren't using it.

Jonathon Edward
05-13-2006, 01:13 PM
I know that this a really delayed response, but I've just stumbled upon this thread. Anthony, like many others mentioned, you're a beast bro! As far as critiques go, it may have been the camera angle but I noticed two thing on the squat portion of your thrusters:
1.) It doesn't look like you're going full depth on the squat. Toward the end you don't even seem to be breaking parallel.
2.) Your knees are drifting forward pretty far. Seems like your sitting straight down rather than back and down.
Maybe you could use a medicine ball or something of the sort to self-check depth and position?
Great performance - keep up the solid work!

Anthony Bainbridge
05-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks Jonathon!

It is hard to tell from that angle ... on some reps I can tell the crease of the hip is definitely below the knee, but on others it's a bit more iffy. I have another video of Fran from a slightly different angle and you can tell I'm hitting well below parallel on every rep. So maybe I had an off day or maybe the angle is misleading. Either way, I appreciate you mentioning it so I can pay more attention next time!

Hampton Lane
05-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Very inspiring Anthony. Its perfect timing for me to find this thread today, as you know by now Fran is the WOD. It will be my first date with her.

Also, what do you guys think about using DBs instead of BB for the thusters? It would be more convenient for me since my pullup bar is in the backyard, and its easier to lug the DBs than BB.

Comments?

Anthony Bainbridge
05-17-2006, 06:55 AM
DBs would be a little more difficult to balance, but there's nothing wrong with that. Just make a note of it when you post your time to the comments on the main page. Good luck!

Aidan O Brien
05-18-2006, 03:09 AM
Anthony, would you mind if i linked your video from another site????

I was trying to explain to some folks how Fran works and they were wondering if i could find some examples. I figured your vid is maybe the best example out there!!!!

Anthony Bainbridge
05-18-2006, 04:52 AM
I don't mind at all, but Crossfit has two Fran videos with sub 3 minute times!

Annie VS Greg: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/fran-greg_annie.wmv

Josh VS Greg: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Josh_Greg-Fran.wmv

Anthony Bainbridge
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Here's a vid from tonight ... not thrilled with my time, but I think the angle gives a better view of my form. Lemme know....

It's kind of sad that I've posted my two worst performances with Fran. lol.

(deleted out-of-date video link)

Jonathon Edward
05-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Anthony,

You're recovering from surgery, don't be so hard on yourself! Form on the squat portion looks solid. You also have a lot greater ROM on your pull ups than in your last vid. Keep it up bro...

Joe Marsh
05-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Anthony,
Great job on Fran! I love the guy in the background posing!! Laughed too hgard on that!!!

Bryan Edge
06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
See, now I probably would get foul-mouthed if I could mutter so much as a single word in between the gasps for breath.

I just THINK naughty words...

Laura Rucker
09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Anthony...just looked at your old vid and your May video.

Awesome improvement on the ROM. Really impressive work.

Jason Carriveau
11-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Anthony, I just looked at your vid and noticed that you're expending a lot of energy doing your pull-ups because you lack ROM in your kipping(maybe because of your close palms facing grip). I think if you tried using a wider palms away grip (overhand), you would notice some improvement. Just a thought, but keep me posted.

Anthony Bainbridge
11-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Jason ... interesting observation and I think you are right. I had fairly inflexible shoulders in the first vid, but spent a lot of time working on it (still do). The second video should show an improvement, even though the time was nothing spectacular. These days the ROM is even better, and not surprisingly, my numbers have improved.

Now ... if I can remember to bring the camera when I perform a half decent Fran!!

Ben Nance
12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I don't really have anything to say on form as everyone else has been all over that...awesome work though!!!