PDA

View Full Version : Squat form

Jerry Mobbs
12-30-2006, 04:49 AM
Can you give me some tips on my squat form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9Ta9QL240

I think this is one of my better lifts form wise.

But all comments gratefully recieved.

Jerry

Keith Wittenstein
12-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Jerry

First of all the music is terrible. :-) But from the front the squat looks good and deep. When you turn your back to the camera though, we see the real problem.

Your heels are clearly lifting off the floor at the bottom of your squat. You can really see it when your back is to the camera. Flexibility is not an issue, so the problem is that you are letting it happen. Don't let it happen PERIOD.

My suggestions:

Read Coach's and Rippetoe's articles/books on the squat.

Widen the stance a little and turn your toes out a little.

Lower the bar a little further down your back.

When you squat don't think about going straight down, but rather move your butt back like you were going to sit into a chair. That will help you put the weight more into your heels.

Dorsiflex the feet, i.e. lift and spread your toes. That will also make you more aware of your heels.

Push your knees out wide and squeeze your butt cheeks at the bottom.

Practice without a bar and then with an empty bar. Also do more front and overhead squats.

Only go as low as you can without the heels lifting and sit in that true bottom position for 2 or 3 seconds and then come up. Gradually get lower with heels rooted down.

Your posture is great however because it is built on a shaky foundation, it isn't really stable. It is a bad use of your personal freedom to sacrifice your foundation to gain more verticality in your posture. I suspect when Coach labeled a squat "Mature" he wasn't merely indicating a more upright spine but was also indicating that the form was more mechanically sound and stable. True maturity would stem from having a rock solid foundation with a high level of strength and mobility in the torso.

David Aguasca
12-30-2006, 08:47 PM
jerry, i'll let the more experienced people criticize the form...however, i hope this was just for digital coaching video purposes, but you should never set yourself up to step backwards into the rack. i remember rippetoe mentioning that this is a sure way to cause an accident.

Jerry Mobbs
12-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Keith,

Thanks. And heres me thinking its my best lift form wise!

Rips book is on the table in the 'throne room' so its gets read at least once a day for 10 mins. As always the trouble is getting your body to do what you tell it.

However I will now focus on sorting out one of your points per work out. Your post was very help full in breaking down the points to focus on.

David,

I only did that to get the rear view. The gym is restricted for space to do it ay other way.

Thanks for all your help and have a great New Year.

Jerry

Keith Wittenstein
12-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Jerry

That's the best place to work on your squat form! LOL! Keep your heels down while on the throne.

Happy new year!