PDA

View Full Version : Randy Couture's Squat Form? Good or bad?

Michael Latch
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Not hatin' on Randy, just looking at his squat form from a coach's perspective...after the split squats, he supersets squats with push-presses...I'm not likin' his squat form. If one of my people started squatting like that, I'd have three or four corrections for them. Am I crazy? I'm wondering what some other-more knowledgeable-Crossfit coaches or others might think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938&q=randy+couture (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938&q=randy%2Bcouture)

Adrian Bozman
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
His squat form sucks. As does most of the 'technique' displayed in that video...

Brian Degenaro
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I'll knock him then. First thing's first, he's not putting his weight on his heels, and you can see that in every single squat his torso is forward and heels come off the ground. Secondly he's a few inches shy of parallel in both the split and "full" squats.

Pierre Auge
08-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Not crazy at all! His squats suck, the only thing he did half decently was the good mornings and he would have been better served with feet shoulder width apart. Lastly I was bored just watching, let alone picturing myself trying to use the routine!

Michael Latch
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
The first thing I would prescribe for him, if he ever popped in, would be to practice squatting with his toes about 2" from the wall...that would solve a good portion of his mistakes....

As this thread continues, please be nice...I didn't start this thread so we could critique his fighting fitness, only to look objectively at his form.:happy:

Bryan Edge
08-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm no expert by any stretch.. I recently started reading *Starting Strength* however, and his squat form does indeed look very poor by the standards of that (excellent) book. }

Keith Wittenstein
08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Fight Gone Lame....

Randy is one of those great examples of an athlete/fighter that wins despite his training not because of it.

That's not entirely fair, I'm pretty sure his actual sparring and fight training is much harder (and much more fun to watch). I'm sure it is his wrestling and boxing training that wins the fights for him. That video is probably a poor representation of his actual intensity of training.

I think Randy is awesome despite his poor squat form. I hope they paid him a lot of money for that video. The music was inspiring.

Charlie Reid
08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
You guys are right that his form does indeed suck, however, a lot of fighters dont care if their form is stellar (even though it definitely would help their pursuits), they just want to build their work capacity, strength, injury prevention, etc. This is probably also due, in part, to bad coaching. Now that Crossfit and Kettlebell communities have been infiltrating the strength and conditioning of top level fighters, hopefully poor form and useless bodybuilding circuits will be a thing of the past...

Michael Latch
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Well spoken, Charlie!

Franklin Shogie
08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
in the video, the gentleman does a military press. my question to the forum is, is his form correct or should the bar drop to his clavicles?

or is it the push-press where the bar drops to the clavicles and the military press only goes down to chin level?

thanks

Eva Twardokens
09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
In my opinion, MOST of those moves had the ROM of the ol' ab crunch. The squat to behind the neck press would have been beautifully subbed with a thruster. It is too bad that at his level, no one saw the lack of completeness in the movements, but I can tell you from my experience with a national team, it is not uncommon. Sad.

Ralph Coates
10-03-2006, 05:57 AM
yeah that did seem a strange way to do those movements - completely broke up the flow of the complex as he had to readjust his stance before every push press.

It's easy for us to criticise though - I guess you have to look at why he's doing these and what importance he is placing on it. I suspect that providing he's not hurting himself and it's succeeding in getting him breathless then he's gonna be happy. No doubt his form would be better for more strength-orientated work... I hope anyway.

Brian Reckdenwald
11-03-2006, 05:58 AM
I guess his idea of high intensity is a little different from some things I've seen...like Diane in 1:49.

William Winger
11-03-2006, 06:35 AM
So, just to recap, if you saw anyone (not Randy or other professional athlete) doing that... you'd stop them, right? I've got to agree with Keith that he may be succeeding in spite of his training... so why are we giving him a break?

Disclaimer: I don't follow professional MMA, but even if he's the best, I'd suspect he's got training 'secrets' he's not showing us. Or as Keith said, his in-ring training must be where the real work is done.

Becca Borawski
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Randy's actually always been very open about his training, William. There's a couple videos like that one floating around on the net, plus the Team Quest Strength & Conditioning DVD - on the DVD they show weight training, box jumping drills, medicine ball drills, all sorts of stuff, plus a bunch of sparring footage at the end. The Team Quest guys do put a lot of time into sparring and drilling techniques.

Personally I think what made a difference for Randy for a lot of years was that he was a career athlete in a sport where not a lot of guys were. The amateur wrestlers coming into MMA were at a distinct advantage athletically to the traditional martial arts guys and the bar brawlers. Randy had much more of an idea how to train (even if it wasn't perfect in hindsight) and to prepare his body. (He also managed to avoid any major injuries throughout his wrestling and fighting career.)

As MMA has become more of a legit sport and folks are able to make a real career out of it, that has changed some, as the training has been improving over time as well.