PDA

View Full Version : How is my Deadlift?

Mattie Rae Wilhelmsen
04-28-2006, 07:08 AM
I studied the slideshow available on crossfit and attempted to duplicate. Please let me know what I am doing right and wrong so I can move on.
Thanks!

Allen Yeh
04-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Mattie,

Here are the things I see:

Starting position: Seems a bit narrow for your, I would try to widen your stance a little more (a few inches). Your heels are coming off the floor, this is bad, throughout the deadlift you want to ensure that your feet stay flat on the floor. Shoulders seem good you want to keep your shoulders either above or behind the bar.

The lift: You seem to be letting the bar drift a little away from your body. Keeping your back arch is good.

Tips:
-Heels on the floor, heels on the floor and once again heels on the floor.
- Widen your stance a little bit, it seems that your stance is less than shoulder width.
- push your chin out like you want someone to punch you in the jaw
-Try to stick your chest out like a bodybuilder and at the same time try to squeeze your arms back so that they are tight against your back. If someone tried to put their finger in your armpit they would feel their finger being squeezed.
-If possible get plates taht are larger in diameter, or put the weights on something so that they start higher. The weights you are using are so small in diameter and forces you to start lower which IMO is harder to learn from.

So a few keys to remember:
Heels!
Put your chin out!
Break the finger!
Bodybuilder Chest!
Now lift.

Hope this helps.

Mattie Rae Wilhelmsen
04-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Shoot. those videos didn't work, did they. I guess they have to be .mov files, eh?

Try this link: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=693152173&n =2 (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=693152173&n=2)

Mattie Rae Wilhelmsen
04-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Wow! you're fast! Thanks!

(Message edited by mattiesmotors on April 28, 2006)

Allen Yeh
04-28-2006, 07:34 AM
They work, you just have to right click the videos and save them to your desktop, rather than clicking on them.

Mike Minium
04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Mattie,

Welcome to CrossFit!

I can't really improve upon Allen's advice but let me give you a couple practical tips that will likely help a great deal when practicing and learning the lift:
Ditch the cushioned-heel running shoes. Lift on a hard surface (e.g., concrete or wood) instead of a soft carpet.
If you can do both of these things, you'll get better feedback from your body on proper positioning. The cushioned surface (your shoes and the carpet) is robbing you of the kinesthetic awareness that's so important in the deadlift.

Mike

Rene Renteria
04-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I would suggest getting Rippetoe's book _Starting Strength_, not just for the deadlift chapter but especially for the squat chapter. Your back position looks good, but many other parts are out of place (your start is from your toes, with your knees way forward and the bar too far forward as well, away from your shins). Like Allen said, you want to live on your heels on this lift while keeping that good back position.

Great job starting out by thinking form, form, form! And for videoing and posting to ask about it. Keep it up!

Best,
Rene'

paul arestan
04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Just one more thing: the plates that you use have a smaller diameter than olympic plates, which means that your starting position is lower than it would be with "normal" plates.
You could either use plates of a greater diameter, or rest the bar on small blocks.