PDA

View Full Version : Snatch (Pierre Auge)

Pierre Auge
04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
OK so here I am snatching the very little weights that I'm snatching. I've picked out some of the obvious faults that I can see but any subtleties and corrective points that can be shared I'd appreciate it.

The video is a quicktime movie and is posted on my blog at the following link:

http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/D317ACE1-5503- 42D2-9336-5C7EBFEAAF54.html (http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/D317ACE1-5503-42D2-9336-5C7EBFEAAF54.html)

What I've noticed myself:
- I'm actually jumping right off the ground
- The bar is ending up too far behind
- Not landing in a full squat
- I'm rushing the first pull
- When I'm jumping the height is causing me to land slightly off balance because of the excess travel

Buts that all obvious stuff and I'm sure I'm missing some finer points that could help me correct the larger more blunt points. I do the burgener warm-up every day, multiple times a day.

Lincoln Brigham
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
It's better than you think.

The bar is NOT ending up too far behind.

I'm not convinced you are rushing the first pull.

Jumping is a good sign. It's supposed to resemble a jump. The most common error is to make the lift resemble a reverse arm curl instead of a jump. Ditto with the bar position - the most common error is to have the bar end up too far forward. Rare, rare, rare is the lifter who consistently pulls the bar too far back.

What I do see is that some of your technique is not consistent. The last snatch showed an early hip rise, back was almost horizontal; the first snatch did not look like that. One or two lifts you jumped forward to receive the bar, others you did not. All signs that you are still a work in progress.

What I don't like is that your landing position seems consistently too wide. Can you do a butt-to-calves overhead squat with that width in your squat stance? Doesn't look like it. This would at least partially explain why you are power snatching everything and not squat snatching. Pull in your landing stance and don't point the feet out so far - see how that works for you.

If you do power snatch a lift, immediately do a full range overhead squat with it. Eventually you may get so sick and tired of having to squat the lift after powering it that you cut to the chase and start squat snatching it.

Overall an excellent video, both the filming and the lifting. Multiple angles and good lighting helps a lot.

Lincoln Brigham
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/22796.jpg

This is excellent.

You could stand to have a bigger "I'm The Resident Beach Bully" chest. You let it collapse a bit here and on most other lifts. BUT... there's lots of good stuff in this one frame:

Heels are flat on the ground.
Shoulders are over the bar.
Arms are straight, straight, straight.
Head is up and eyes are focused on horizon.
The jumping position looks like you are set to positively unload on that poor defenseless barbell. Stellar.

Pierre Auge
04-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Oddly enough I noticed a similarly wide stance issue with my clean a few weeks ago. And I managed to correct it by squatting the thing 5x immediately after cleaning. I've been doing that everyday since, funny I didn't even notice with my snatch.

I'll try that pull from the landing stance, and I'll throw in some overhead drop squats with the bar. Maybe that will fix me up. Thanks Lincoln Thats great.

Carrie Klumpar
04-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Nice scoop!

My additional critiques, fwiw: 1) Stronger lumbar curve in the setup (can only see this in the last one, with the better filming angle, but your back is rounding a bit much for my taste). 2) Active shoulders once you've got the bar overhead. Get it up there and keep actively pushing it and your shoulders up toward the ceiling.

Pierre Auge
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Carrie thanks for the good tips. I noticed I'm not using much of an active shoulder but I think its mainly due to the relatively light weight I'm using actually once its over head I don't feel an ounce of stress on my shoulders. I'll keep imagining its 300lbs and force those shoulders up.

Another note on that I've got extremely flexible shoulders. I can do actual dislocates on the rings for reps without injuring myself (actually it feels quite good). And overhead squats with my hands together.

I'll focus on the lumbar curve, Nicole noticed that when I was doing deadlifts at HQ in January, and I thought I had corrected it. I'll have to keep a close eye on that. (Oddly enough my deadlift has improved since then because I've been watching it like a hawk but maybe the light weights I'm using for the snatch are distracting me into thinking I'm ok.)

Pierre Auge
05-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Here is an update, I would like some comments on my technique. All comments welcome thanks.

http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/06B6A304-3DE9- 44A5-A80B-E3D60A899A93.html (http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/06B6A304-3DE9-44A5-A80B-E3D60A899A93.html)

The video is in Quicktime format.

Lincoln Brigham
05-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Pierre that is quite good. No kidding, you're doing a great job.

Here's something I want to show you:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/24679.jpg
Remember when I was talking about having a "big chest" at the start? Compare shoulder positions in the photo above. (I know, being compared to a 3-time Olympic gold medalist is not fair!) Notice how your shoulders hang forward and down as far as possible, while Kakhi's are pulled back. His shoulders are active at the start, yours are not. His chest is in front of his arms, yours is behind. Notice the difference in the curve of the upper back, his is flatter.

His hip angle is much more acute as well, but I'm not sure if that is a result of differences in height. I don't know how tall either of you are, so it may not be an issue. But you can see that Kakhi uses great hip flexiblity in order to set up in that fashion, which allows him to start with hips his low.

Pierre Auge
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Wow Lincoln great comparison on the shoulder position that picture really puts it in perspective. And I'm not ashamed what so ever to be corrected with the use of a form model such as Kakhi.

I think I can deffinately work on that, and it is something I would have never picked up on without someone more experienced noticing it. I can see the advantage of having the shoulders engaged with this lift. Perhaps I'm approaching my first pull too much as if it is a deadlift instead of a technically more robust lift as it is.

I've always had an issue with the shrug portion of the second pull, on both the snatch and the clean this insight might be the ticket to really putting up some heavier weights.

Question: Can I equate the shoulder position to pulling my serratus together at the back? I can see how this would certainly open up the chest and prep the trapezius for engagement during the second pull.

I'm thinking shoulders in, active and trying to pull my shoulder blades together!?! How am I doing?

Larry Lindenman
05-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Pierre, looks great...good to see you again, even if it's on video. Lincoln, let me take a second to say, your the best! Really, your coaching is awesome. Taking the time to look for and post that picture, heck even the fact that you caught that is a testament to your greatness as a coach. Great job and thanks.

Pierre Auge
05-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Larry, and I agree with you Lincoln is really amazing. His coaching has helped my form considerably, even if he is all the way in Sedona. Goes to the testament of not only his own coaching but to the character of this community as a whole.

The population here in Canada is so spread out that it would be very difficult to receive this kind of technical assistance as quickly as I get it here. Anytime I've posted a question or comment I get an answer the same day. Without having to drive 3 or 4 hours away. Combined the quality of the answers I get that, is what's awesome!!!

Pierre Auge
05-22-2006, 09:10 PM
LINCOLN BRIGHAM YOU ROCK!!!

Your advice just helped me PR with 115lbs!!! My previous best was 95lbs as you witnessed on video! I knew I had more in me but could not project that much energy into the bar!!! I think you just handed me the ticket!

I have it on video and the lighting is better on todays video so you might pick up some more errors but I nailed that lift!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!! I am one happy Canadian! Hell, the entire lift feels more solid with the shoulders engaged as you said. I think I might start deadlifting like that just to strengthen my upper back even if it effects my deadlift PR negatively for a while which I doubt!!!

OH one last note! Though it may look like it, I am "not" wearing lifting shoes! They are Adidas walking shoes with a solid flat rubber sole, I like em!!!

http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/1FFBDDAC-774E- 4874-BD25-EBED73DCD031.html (http://web.mac.com/pierre_auge/iWeb/www.mission-specific.com/Home/1FFBDDAC-774E-4874-BD25-EBED73DCD031.html)

Lincoln Brigham
05-23-2006, 08:55 AM
That's terrific Pierre, glad I could help out.

The next thing to work on is getting under the bar a little quicker. Air time is wasted time and if you look at your pr lift frame-by-frame you'll see some big air under those shoes! Which means you're good for a lot more.

Watch the feet here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/24763.gif
Just enough air to slide into the landing/squat position.

Pierre Auge
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks again Lincoln I'll work that. My short term goal is 135 by the end of June. And mid-term goal is bodyweight by end summer. I currently weigh 150 but who knows where I'll be by end August I weighed 135 in January.

Yoon Sohn
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Pierre,
Congrats on the PR! I have pretty much identical goals on the snatch as well. Your form currently trumps mine though :talker:

Oh yeah, I've said it once and I'll say it again: Lincoln is the man!

Pierre Auge
05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Yoon,
I pretty much just lift everyday! I'm not too concerned with over training because I have found that often that is when I lift best, when fatigued. Can't be sloppy then! If you are sloppy you tend to break yourself. But I do stupid things like that!

For example I try to dealift 90% of max at least once a day. Somedays I can't do it so I just say forget it. Actually come to think about it. I think I've made all my PR's of late while fasting!?! I'll have to look into that but I think they were all done on rest days, and I fast on rest days. Hmmmm yes I'm going back into my logs, peace!

Pierre Auge
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
So I was reviewing the video of my PR lift from the other day and see a few things I couldn't see in the web rendered version. I slowed it down and cut out the other lifts. If you watch closely I'm half way between a Classical Lift and a Bulgarian Lift, the bar is swinging out and away then begins to travel straight up!

Look closely at the extension the bar actually comes way up before I even reach extension!!! By the time I've come to full extension the bar is already near sternum level.

Two things are happening:

1 I'm unleashing hell on that bar!
2 I'm swinging it like a damned kettelbell!

NO WONDER I can't consistantly catch the weight. Its not really all that heavy! And I'm not missing at the feet most of the time, its my line of travel, the line of travel is all over the place. I'm allowing the bar to move all over the frontal plane and not keeping it under control, even though I had to review the video a bunch of times before picking it up and only days later!

Pierre Auge
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
If that doesn't work try this:

http://idisk.mac.com/pierre_auge-Public?view=web

Download the file from there its a quicktime movie, and you need to click on the little arrow on the right hand side of the screen.

Lincoln Brigham
05-26-2006, 11:14 AM
You're pushing into the bar. Also, you are not waiting long enough to explode on the bar. The bar loses contact at about mid thigh when it should leave at about crotch level.

Pierre Auge
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Cool Lincoln, thanks for that note... I couldn't quite figure out what to do about it. It's been frustrating me (a wee bit, not really).