PDA

View Full Version : High pull question

Ian Henderson Harte
05-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Just checking form, heres the link.

yes we're in iraq. We got that equipment sent with our unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhJCuw86VMs

Josh Brehm
05-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Looks like your legs are too close together, and your back is too curved, but for light weights it doesn't really matter for your back. Thanks for serving!

Matthew Nielsen
05-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Pull your shoulder blades back a bit...I think...

Lincoln Brigham
05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
It gets the job done, but way too much arm too early and not enough pop from the hips.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/24636.jpg
Here your arms are bending even though the bar has not yet passed the knees. The bar is out in front.

Lynne Pitts
05-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Moving to Digital Coaching...

Tom Corrigan
05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
IMO, your feet need to be turned out a bit more, and moved a bit wider. Feet should be turned out 45 degrees; that's what makes it a Sumo. Keep yur feet flat as you drive , but focus on exploding thru your heels.

You need to stay more upright. The angle in lincoln's still shot is about where you should be at the bottom when you're grabbing the bar. You should be straight up and down as the bar zips by your hips (crotch level). As you're squeezing your glutes/locking out your hips, you should start your shrug, then pull with your arms.

IMO, you need to drop the weight a bit and focus on making the movement explosive. You're doing it at a moderate rate, and as you tire, it'll turn into a deadlift with an upright row. A quick SDLH is an explosive combo of those two moves, which is seemless.

Grip width = exactly shoulder width. Your arms should be vertical at the start of the pull.

Ian Henderson Harte
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
i knew it was too good to be true. ill work on it. thanks for the help

Garrett Smith
05-26-2006, 01:15 AM
For clarification, are you working a "normal" high pull, or a "sumo" high pull?

Either way, *snap* the hips, the arms just finish the movement. Hips & knees must lock out aggressively to get all the power you want out of them in this (either) movement.

Ian Henderson Harte
05-27-2006, 07:50 AM
i recorded that video the day the WOD rx'd the sumo deadlift high pull. As you all know I'm still very new to crossfit, and I thank you for you patience and help.

Ian Henderson Harte
05-27-2006, 08:12 AM
i recorded that video the day the WOD rx'd the sumo deadlift high pull. As you all know I'm still very new to crossfit, and I thank you for you patience and help.