PDA

View Full Version : My C&J

Fiona Muxlow
03-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone.

Pointers wanted, i think i am pulling under a little slow and receiving the bar with my feet to wide.
Can anyone else pickup anything i need to work on?
Thankyou

PS its a 45kg/99lb lift @ BW 69.5kg/154kg
My best was a 47.5kg back in november 05 before i injured my back, this is the most lifted since.I aiming for a 50kg before May

(Message edited by Fiona on March 16, 2006)

Kenneth Urakawa
03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey Fi! Looking good! I'll kick off the festivities...

Here's a few things I noticed:

Started with hips pretty high.
Early arm bend.
Landing stance pretty wide.

I think one of the reasons that you are looking slow coming under the bar is that your arms are bent pretty far by the time your hips extend. You're not getting the big explosive POP, you're more just curling/guiding the bar into position. I bet if you added 5 or 10 kilos to the bar, you'd get a better pull. Just an incredibly under-qualified opinion...

Keep us updated--it's good to see you!

Ken

PS If you can, maybe try to get a side view next time, also.

Lincoln Brigham
03-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Use much more patience on the second pull. Pull the trigger later and get into more of a jumping motion. Let your arms hang like ropes.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/21593.jpg
WAY early arm bend; it started even before the bar passed the knees. I also saw hardly any rebend of the knees. How close was the bar to your thighs on the second pull? You're good for 50 kg NOW if you clean up your technique. What's your best front squat?

Jerk looks very good. A lot of good things going on there - foot position, movement under the bar, drive of the legs into the bar, etc.

Fiona Muxlow
03-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Well here is the side view from that same day.

Hips definatly not getting the "pop" and arms bending to early.
Lincon to answer you question my best front squat is 65kg x3, haven't actually tested 1RM. I'm pretty sure the bar was almost, if not touching the thights.
I have been watching the O-lifting at the Commonweath Games(on TV) and their first pull is sooo slow yet they are under the bar in a flash so i now understand what you mean about having more patience.
Im back in the gym monday and will give it another go, and try and clean up my technique.
I don't have anyone up here who can watch me so you guys will probly be getting more vid's, hope you dont mind. Thankyou for you help so far.

Lincoln Brigham
03-18-2006, 10:39 AM
You did not extend fully on that lift, not at all. Also again, a bad early arm bend. It may feel like the bar is close to the thighs, but it doesn't look it. (Hard to tell with the backlighting.)

It's technique that's keeping you from cleaning 60+, never mind 50. Make your arms like ropes, arms like ropes, arms like ropes. Right now you are using them like construction cranes or forklifts.

Again, the jerk looks really, really good.

Keep it up! Take some video from the 1/4 angle. Some shots of cleans from the hang position would be good.

Lincoln Brigham
03-18-2006, 10:58 AM
I watched the side video again - basically you are getting zero double knee bend action. You are try to jump from the floor and not from the second pull. It looks like a "grip and rip" deadlift.

Instead what you should be doing is squeezing the bar off the ground and getting it into position for a vertical jump that will commence once the bar touches a spot on the upper thigh. Arms like ropes, arms like ropes.

Carrie Klumpar
03-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi Fiona,

Just wanted to chime in to compliment you on the strong jerk. Wow! You're getting that straight up-and-down dip (without dropping forward at all) much better than I remember when I saw you in Feb. Way to go!

FWIW, I agree about the early arm bend in the clean. Keep the lumbar curve _locked_ into your back (don't let it round forward at all, as you can see about midway through the clean if you slow-mo through the side-view vid), and let the full upward extension of the hip and shrug of the shoulders do the bulk of the lifting.

Fiona Muxlow
04-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Well here is more video as promised.
Lincoln i have been doing what your said and working from the hang,plus i have dropped the weight back so i can work technique, I did a few from the floor tonight just so i could see if I could co-ordinate the lifts any better. Is it getting any beter or am i just reinforcing bad habits

Lincoln Brigham
04-11-2006, 07:10 AM
That is awesome. You look like a different lifter. Do you see how the bar pulls up your shirt a bit? That's an excellent sign that the bar is close. You are pulling with straight arms, too.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/22747.jpg

Nice full extension, excellent shrug, elbows are just barely beginning to bend (at this bar height, which is just past the end of the second pull, they should be). Very, very, nice. A big improvement.

Keep doing this.

Fiona Muxlow
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Thankyou so much for you help

OK so those hours spent waiting for downloads from coach B's site where worth it ( plus it gave me time to clean the house).
Should i keep working from the hang for now and increase the weight? Or should i try starting from below the knee but not from the platform?? yet.

Fiona

Lincoln Brigham
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I would keep lifting from the hang, at least 80% of your lifts.

Tim Weaver
04-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Fiona

Wow...what a difference. I am certainly no expert, or even quasi-expert, or even one with any knowledge, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express...

However, I could easily see the difference between the first vid and the latest one. it looks much more like what I've seen in Coach B's downloads....

Way to go!!