PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form

Frank Menendez
01-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Here we go:

http://www.fmenendez.com/exercises/deads.mov

I noticed the lowering part of the dead wasn't smooth, I was able to correct it later on, but how is everything else (specially the back!)?

Jerry Hill
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Frank,
Best form you have displayed so far!
You are working a bit too hard on lowering the weight, (eccentric portion).

Most people just drop their hips back and 'guide'(not quite drop) the weight to the floor. You then 'reset' your hips and pull again.

jh

Frank Menendez
01-28-2006, 09:28 PM
thanks! i did manage to correct to eccentric part of the exercise towards the end of the routine. I killed my knees in the first 2 sets though hah. So the back is okay though?

Carrie Klumpar
01-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Looks pretty nice. You could pull back against the bar a little more ("sit back") maybe, but, yes, the back looks good.

Actually, I commend you for controlling the weight on the descent. That's good work as well, and as long you're maintaining good, safe form (as you were), that's the way it should be done, imo. Unless maybe you're going for max.

Joshua Murphy
01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Frank -

Overall it looked really good. It seemed to me that you could push your chest out a bit more and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Just my novice opinion.

Great work!

Tom Corrigan
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Frank,

how tall are you? Assuming you are using 45# plates on that bar, you look to be well over 6 ft. This becomes a factor because your knees seem to "get in the way".

Your style of DL emphasises the leg drive. Nothing wrong with that,but your numbers will be limited. For max #s, most DLer end up with a DL form which is between the style you show, and a stiff legged DL form. This hybrid style puts more emphasis on your glutes, and low back (which you use to stabilze your spine against the increased shearing force on your spine because your back angle is lower - maybe 30 degrees instead of 45 degree incline).

If you're over 6' 3", you may want to try pulling your DLs off blocks that are 3-4" thick.

JMO, YMMV,

Tom

Christian Hansen
02-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Nice DL. My hips need to be way lower in order to reach the bar. I think I may be setting up a bit wrong. Then again I'm 6'4" and have a fairly long torso.