PDA

View Full Version : Clean critique

Bart Jones
01-05-2006, 09:17 PM
OK, I'll post what i think is going on here and then you can tell me what you think. The weight is 135 pounds. I am new to olympic lifting and noone who knows what they are doing has ever watched me. OK well, I feel like i have a pretty decent starting position. But then an early hip rise and early arm bend (I don't know )? Am I not extending enough or getting tall enough? Also, I feel like I am slow getting under the bar, and i catch it first and then squat down. What do you guys think? Thanks

Gabe Rinaldi
01-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I'd give you some feedback, but I can't get the link to open. It just opens as a bunch of mumbo jumbo as a text document. I'm using a mac with safari.

Andy Shirley
01-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Gabe,
Save-As, then rename it to *.avi, the boards tend to change file extensions to *.unk.

Bart Jones
01-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Hmmm, I tried the link on a different computer and it worked. Anyone else having problems, if so how can I fix it?

Lincoln Brigham
01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I can view it okay. Gabe must not be holding his mouth right! :crazy:

A lot of good things, which I won't bore you with.

Bad things:
Early arm bend! Your punishment is a thousand jumping deadlift pulls with triple bodyweight. That'll straighten those arms out!

You're slow getting under the bar. More speed! The bar is crashing on you. Meet the bar sooner and lower. You are pulling too long - explode on the bar and get it over with so you can start getting under the bar quicker. Once you have gotten to full extension with the hips, knees and ankles (and with straight arms!) and have imparted sufficient momentum on the bar, stop pulling the bar up! Get under the bar. Instantaneous reversal of direction.

Ben Krey
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I saw the arm bend too. Lincoln, when you say pulling too long, do you mean too slow? I don't see the fuss about wanting to "catch it low". It seems too many crossfitters are obsessed more with where they catch it than if it was a good pull. I would concentrate instead on pulling it perfectly, then pulling under to meet the bar, whipping the elbows around and up high. Wouldn't a perfect pull at 135lbs for Bart pretty much be a power clean? The path of the bar doesnt look too bad... transition should be fast, but fluid.
I've only been lifting since feb, so take that into consideration.

Gabe Rinaldi
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the tip about renaming the file...I got it to work. I concur with all of Lincoln's points. Lincoln, for some reason I hear Coach Burgener's voice when I read your reply. :-)

Ben, it depends on what your goals are for using the OWL movements. If you are training for Olympic weightlifting competition or to refine your technique of the full movements (or to get the additional benefits from doing the full movements), then you will want to have the exact same kinematics (outward appearance of the lift) regardless of the weight. A good OWLer can make 60 kilos look exactly the same as 100 kilos (and if we're talking good, then they can make that look exactly the same as 150+ kilos). If you pull too long with a relatively light weight, or you bend your arms early, or you're slow to pull under, then these problems will make it worse as the weight increases.

On the other hand, if you're training an athlete who will never compete in OWL or you have a limited amount of time and you want to train the tripple extension (hips, knees, and ankles), then these issues may be less important....as long as it is safe.

In my mind Crossfit doesn't settle for less than perfect technique, so if you're supposed to do a power clean, then do a power clean, but if they are supposed to be full squat cleans, then do those (and strive for perfect technique year after year). There are many additional benefits to be had from doing the full lifts, but that's not the point of this post.

Bart Jones
01-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Watching myself has been a real benefit I think. Lincoln, I shall complete my prescribed punishment today after the WOD (probably not with 600 pounds though). I figure after all the pullups today, I will probably not be able to bend my arms anyways

Lincoln Brigham
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Lincoln, when you say pulling too long, do you mean too slow?

Too slow and for too long of a distance. Once the lifter has gotten to full extension, the pull is done. Finished. Over with. Kaput. Stop pulling the bar up. Start pulling yourself under.

With the really good lifters, a power clean happens when the lifter has so much velocity on the bar that he can't get down faster than the bar gets up. It's not because they are trying to pull it higher - it's because they are finishing the pull with more velocity.

Will Marshall
01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Like Lincoln said you are trying to impart enrgy on the bar during the extension/jump. Then your getting underneath the bar.
Your more just powercleaning it then squatting even though you don't have to. Your wrists are almost in good rack position. let go of the bar with your thumb you don't need it to hold on to the bar. Before you want to jerk to reset your grip you just bump the bar by doing a like 1/8 squat and catching it in your jerk grip. In time you'll even start doing this automatically on the way up from the squat. Couldn't really tell if you were shrugging enough, it looks like you probably where. More extension on the toes would be nice before you jump, but it does look like an easy weight for you so I could see why maybe it didn't get done.

Adrian Cradock
02-10-2006, 03:31 AM
Just a quick note here Bart just saw the video looks good in addition to what others said i think you might be trying to hold the bar too much i find it easier and bar moves quicker when you let it rest on a few fingers your whole hand is catching it in the rack position on your shoulders.
adrian