View Full Version : My Clean

David Easton
12-15-2005, 05:32 PM
This is a video of me doing 60kg cleans

http://media.putfile.com/Clean53

Please critique

Lincoln Brigham
12-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Early arm bend and you never finish extending, never get up tall. You jump forward, probably as a result of not finishing the triple extension.

Nice to see you squat cleaning the weight. Rack position is pretty good. Keep up the good work!

Jerry Hill
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
David,
the Burgener warmup has helped me with that extension.

David Easton
12-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks Lincoln and Jerry, I will work on that extension and the Burgenger warm up.

Tim Johnson
12-29-2005, 09:37 AM
In addition to the other comments, you're pulling the bar up with your lower back. This is because the weight is light. Unless you improve your technique, you won't be able to go heavier without risking injury.
Drop your hips just a bit lower to the ground and keep them there as you lift the weight with your legs (push the ground away). As the bar nears the knee, then you "stand up."

You also aren't pulling with an explosive shrug. Put heavy weight on the bar and then shrug it as fast as you can off of some blocks. Do this before cleaning, and when you switch to the clean your muscles AND nervous system will be fired up.

12-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Lincoln has it spot on - those are the biggest issues.

Tim points out a back lift, but I don't see that as necessarily being a problem - some lifters are far better with a higher-hip position, while some prefer very low hips. If you have the adequate flexibilty for a higher-hip starting position (i.e., you're able to do it with a rigid, flat back), there's nothing inherently unsafe about it. But definitely experiment with varying starting heights to see what truly is right for you. The reality is that no matter how upright your torso is, the lower back is very much involved. The lower back working is fine--good, in fact--straining is something entirely different.

Related to Tim's observation, though, you're leading with your hips in the initial portion of the pull - that is, your hips rise faster than your shoulders. Legs begin extending while the shoulders remain still for a moment - that beginning angle of your back should remain constant until your legs are extended - hips and shoulders rising at the same rate.

If you settle on an appropriate starting position, that problem will be easy to fix - you won't be unconsciously readjusting your hip height to set up the actual pull.

Good video of a very enthusiasic Sage Burgener below. Your and her starting hip heights are very close - the difference is that she doesn't lead with the hips.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/clean.mov

Update the video when you have a chance and let us know how it goes.