PDA

View Full Version : Eva T's Snatch

Beth Moscov
10-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi,

Eva was having trouble posting this so I am trying. She wanted to get your feedback.

Beth

Eva Twardokens
10-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I actually wanted to post the attachment Beth put up with Burgeners comments so you could relate the two.I was unable to view the video on line so I hope it works for others out there. He did a lot of coaching and here are his comments, have fun:

raising your butt way too soon off the ground. puts you in a back lifting position. also your back is not flat enough...flat enough....your legs are almost fully extended before you get the bar past your knees. ....slow down that pull.....let it settle in to the down postion....then explode up.....you are extending, not jumping to extension.....this causes the bar to swing....hence you missed the one bar behind you.....also look at your straight up and down position....a tad forward....the bar is outside the base of the feet. solutions......as i said....slow it down, the first pull.....bring it to the down position....explode up....straight...jump....do not do a horizontal hip extension. good things:....you are freeking strong, y ou are powerful.....you have the positions. coach b

Scott McAndrews
10-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Bummer, I couldn't open it. However, I have a computer from the ice age so it doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

Beth Moscov
10-15-2005, 05:07 PM
I can't get it to open either.
The file works fine in my computer though. Wierd.

It is supposed to be a quicktime file but it isn't working. It looks like it has a .mov ending but when you go to open it, it has a .unk.

Any techies know what is up with this?

Lynne Pitts
10-15-2005, 05:59 PM
It's a "feature" of the messageboard software and happens with a lot of uploaded files here. Best bet: right click, save as, and change the extension from .unk to .mov. It'll play fine.

Scott McAndrews
10-16-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks Lynne, that worked for me!

Eva Twardokens
10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Lynne,
thanks for untangeling that one!

Mike Burgener
10-17-2005, 09:54 PM
in more simplier terms: eva is not staying over the bar long enough.....she is bailing out too soon,.....trying to jump when the bar passes the knees.....she needs to stay over the bar until the bar gets into the crease of the hips....then explode aka jump....i.e down and up!!! with her bailing out too soon this has caused the horizontal hip thrust and a swinging of the bar.....slow it down, be patient....stay over the bar.

Mike Donnelly
10-18-2005, 07:49 AM
First of all, thank you Eva for sharing your progressions. I'm learning a lot by watching your movements and reading the feedback. It's allowed me to pick apart some of my own technique flaws.

Coach B: Could you elaborate a bit on staying "over the bar?' Does this mean not extending the upper body until ready for the "jump" phase of the lift?

Many Thanks,
Mike Donnelly

Mike Burgener
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
mike, that is probably one of the hardest things to understand. when one lifts the weight off the ground everything (bar, shoulders, hips, legs all come up at the same time. the chest really covers the bar (staying over the bar)....as the bar continues to raise the legs straighten more and the hips extend more....but one must still stay over the bar, not as much as in the beginning but still staying over it....then as the bar gets up on the thigh...the athlete jumps...this jump causes a double knee bend...the down and up part of the burgener warm up....the longer one stays over that bar the more vertical they get when they do the jump. when one jumps or tries to jump too soon...or when one raises their hips up too fast and the bar stays down...it is hard for them to be patient, they will want to jump way too soon....they really never get good extension or if they do they get a swing on the bar...causing either a miss in front or one from behind. long and lengthy but i hope it helps.

Alexander Karatis
10-19-2005, 06:12 AM
How do you change the extension of a file? If I just rename it, it will only end up looking like "file.unk.mov"

Lynne Pitts
10-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Just replace the unk with mov

Windows will give you some warning about changing file extensions, but ignore it and continue.

Mike Donnelly
10-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Coach B:

That's as clear, succinct, and precise as I could've hoped for! Many Thanks

Mike Donnelly

Lincoln Brigham
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
One thing I've notice that seems to happen with lifters who get up on their toes early is that the bar usually ends up out in front.

UNLESS you pull back so far you end up in a "C" position at the top off the pull like this:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/15158.jpg
Turkey's Sagir Tanir

or Justin Brimhall:
http://www.wichitafallsweightlifting.com/files/MOV01998.MPG

Not an easy style to replicate or coach, I would imagine.

You can see the weight starts to shift forward on Eva's foot well before she has finished the pull, yet she finishes the pull nearly vertical. The bar ends out in front.
I shudder to think what my feet are doing. I think they start back on the heels, rock forward during the 1st pull, then rock back during the second pull. Of course at the top of the pull I'm on my toes once again, the triple extension. A lot of movement. Traditionally I just let my hips rise too soon, swing the heck out of the bar, and catch grief from any number of Burgeners standing nearby.

(Message edited by Lincoln on October 19, 2005)