PDA

View Full Version : Clean and Jerk Help

Gene Folgo
11-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Here is my Clean and Jerk from a Front View and a Side View. Believe it or not, I was actually trying to use good technique. The most obvious flaw is that I initiate the movemenet with an arm bend. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. The movies are in quicktime format.

Gene Folgo
11-08-2005, 05:59 PM
My wife Elena would also appreciate a critique of her technique, which is leaps and bounds ahead of mine. Here is her C&J from the front and side. Her movies are also in quicktime.

Allen Yeh
11-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Gene,

I'm not an Olympic lifting expert but I have a few comments so take it for what it's worth.

The labels for side and front are switched just so you know...haha I was a bit confused when I first opened them up.

Gene Clean side(so really front): You cleaned the weight up as a power clean...and then did a front squat. The squat should be a component of the catch. So you would be cleaning it up and then sinking into the squat.

Gene Clean Front(so really side): You bend your elbows before triple extension it seems like. (I wish Quicktime came with a slow button)

Elena Front: Good pull, good extension elbows bending after triple extension. The catch...um I'm not sure I will have to let someone more qualified than me. (this shows my lack of expertise..haha )

Elena Side: Seems like she might want the bar closer to her shins so her shoulders are more over the bar. http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/flat_back.html
Her start position should be more akin to the picture on the right.

Just my 2 cents

Lincoln Brigham
11-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Gene - your hip position is too high at the start, you're almost horizontal. You are bending your elbows too soon and pulling with the arms.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/15936.jpg

Elena - she lets her back round off as the bar comes off the ground. She needs to stay tight and keep that curve in her low back. The bar is way too far out in front during the second pull. It needs to slide up the thighs. She also exhibits a bit of an early arm bend, though not as pronounced.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/15937.jpg

Both of you should keep your weight back on your heels longer.

Keep it up! Really not too bad, all basically common beginner errors that can be fixed.

Russ Greene
11-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Just to clarify, those are cleans, not clean and jerks. Clean and jerks go from the ground to overhead, cleans go from the ground to the shoulders.

Gene Folgo
11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the pointers Lincoln and Allen. I appreciate your taking the time to help. I hope to take more video soon and hopefully exhibit a better starting position and less arm bend.

Lincoln-We are in Tempe and those videos were taken at Crossfit Southwest. Someday soon, Elena and I will have to visit you in Sedona on a weekend.

Russ-the first sentence mistakenly says "clean and jerk" instead of "power clean-front squat." Since the message is more than 30 minutes old, I can't edit it. How about some constructive feedback on the power clean-front squat to go along with the semantics?

Gene

Russ Greene
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I have a problem with focusing on words. But anyways, are you trying to do a power clean to a front squat, or a squat clean? These are two different exercises. In an ideal squat clean, you don't pull the bar up to you and then go down into a squat, you pull yourself under the bar. This takes practice, speed, and technique. Once you get into the top of the pull you want to immediately drop under the bar as quickly as possible. The faster you do that, the less powerful your pull has to be.

Lincoln Brigham
11-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Gene,
We're having the grand opening on the Saturday the 19th from 9 am to 1 pm so come on up! We're going to have a barbecue, some demonstrations, and I'll need some victims for Fight Gone Bad.
Linc

James R. Climer
11-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Lincoln,
what are you using to get those vid-caps?

Lincoln Brigham
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Quick Time, it's a standard feature. Put the video on pause, rock the slider back and forth until you get the frame you want. Go to the Edit menu, select "Copy". Paste into your favorite image editor, save.

Miguel Verissimo
12-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Let me analyse your video there:
(I gave this exact same advice to other guy here in the forum, so I have copied and pasted parts of what I wrote then)

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/16686.gif
1. you are starting with your elbows bent. what you want to do is having your arms hanging, relaxed but with a firm grip, and let them hang as you start the deadlift part and just bend them in the last pull of the clean, in sequence with your feet and shoulders. the idea is using the momentum to get the bar up there, so the correct pulling sequence is feet-shoulders-elbows. This is to say that the elbow bend is just auxiliary, the strenght lies in the legs and shoulders. Maintain your arms relaxed during the entire pull part. Save them for the jerk.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/16687.gif
2. you are "jumping" on the last part of the pull. your feet should never leave the floor, if they do it means bad form, because you are not transfering the force to the weight correctly. What you should do is using your force and power to do a slingshot movement, but slings only work when there's an oposite force to them. yours is gravity, so those feet must stay on the ground to "connect" you with the negative force. I'm probably confusing you here. bottom line: feet allways on the floor. remeber the correct sequence on the pull: feet-shoulders-elbows. do this in slow-motion, and work your speed up, eventually you'll understand the "sling" explanation I gave up there.

3. Elena, besides the back position already mentioned you are starting the pull early, you have to have your body fairly upright when you do the pull. (sorry, i'm adding this on an editm so I cant upload a picture, but frame-by-frame your side video, and you'll see what I'm talking about)

To correct this you should try to do pulls, like you are cleaning, but focusing on getting the bar to go up to your chest, in a very relaxed but controlled manner. Start light, and work your weight up only when you have perfect form. These are whole body exercises, and you must work up to the perfect sync between the different bodyparts.

Use the video resource and quicktime to see it frame-by-frame, and auto-diagnose your progress.

hope this helps, sorry for my bad english.

(Message edited by mack on December 03, 2005)

Gene Folgo
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Thank you very much Miguel. We will incorporate your advice (and that of others above) and hopefully repost better lifts in the next few weeks. Your English is excellent, absolutely no need to apologize.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help. The generosity of the Crossfit community is outstanding.

Gene