PDA

View Full Version : Muscle-up transition phase

Aurel Dimarco
11-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I find it difficult to make it through that transition phase in a high bar.
(I dont think its a matter of force:i can make 25 consecutive pull-ups and almost 2 with 170% of my bodyweight.As for those dips:I can make 5 with 200% bodyweight(on parallel bars))
I need some specific exercise for that transition phase on the high bar.
Would a false grip be more effective(is it possible a false grip on the horizontal bar?)

Christopher Sommer
11-29-2005, 05:33 AM
"Muscle-Ups On A Straight Bar

Rings for muscleups, while preferable for comfort, are not necessary. It is also possible to perform muscle ups on a straight bar. For this you will need to use an exaggerated false grip.

Regardless of where you are doing the muscle-ups, I would recommend trying to set your grip in the following way: your grip should be pressing down in a diagonal from the bottom knuckle on your index finger, across your palm to the heel of your hand as well as somewhat on your wrist as well (this is where those wonderful blisters on your wrist come from).

At first, you will probably not be able to completely straighten your arms at the bottom of the movement and retain your false grip. This is fine, simply continue with the movement and, as you strength and flexibility improves, so will your bottom hang position.

The transition from the pullup to the dip is also harder as you are not able to lean forward, but this is actually preferable, as a perfect (and therefore most beneficial) muscle-up doesn't lean forward anyway.

For multiple muscle-ups, simply establish your false grip for the next repetition as you lower down from the first.

In the event of getting "rips" or blisters on your wrists from the false grip, a little athletic tape will take care of the problem."

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

OlympicBodies@aol.com

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=512003
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Aurel Dimarco
11-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Coach Sommer,

First of all,I would like to thank you so much for your help!
Do you think any exercise could also be helpful for that transition phase in my case?

Brad Smith
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Coach Sommer,

In the article in your signature, it mentions a book coming out titled Building the Olympic Body. The article was from 2004. Did the book come out yet? I looked on Amazon but didn't find it.